Smith and Wesson 5.7x28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not but own a ruger. The 5.7 was kind of a disappointment, it is high capacity and all but it also takes a pistol that is good size. I shot plates with it and it was fun, but in all honesty, it isn’t anything one of my premium 9mm pistols can’t do. You get a little ballistic edge, but not enough to justify a $1/rd imho opinion and I got the gun 6 mags and 1500 rounds of ammo, lol. When I jump in, apparently I go full tilt. Shoot one before you buy, or buy one and a box or two of ammo. They are fun but steep to shoot. Mine sits vs other pistols

Last edited:

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never fired one, or any other 5.7, but I did handle one of the new Smith 5.7's at Tin Star in W'ford Saturday and it did feel really good in the hand.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not but own a ruger. The 5.7 was kind of a disappointment, it is high capacity and all but it also takes a pistol that is good size. I shot plates with it and it was fun, but in all honesty, it isn’t anything one of my premium 9mm pistols can’t do. You get a little ballistic edge, but not enough to justify a $1/rd imho opinion and I got the gun 6 mags and 1500 rounds of ammo, lol. When I jump in, apparently I go full tilt. Shoot one before you buy, or buy one and a box or two of ammo. They are fun but steep to shoot. Mine sits vs other pistols

Pfft... Ammo is down to ONLY .60 cents per round.

:bolt:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 5.7 is one of the few newer rounds on the market I really like. It does what it mostly should do for what I use it for . I am not honestly totally impressed with the idea its a good defensive round , but on paper it should be equal to a 9mm with better energy and penetration. The reality doesn't totally support this at least from what I have read and viewed .

The new S&W offering is interesting to me , but I 've not made amends with S&W from their HUD agreement with the Clintons and probably wont , much in the same way I haven't purchased a new Ruger even though the pistol is interesting to me.

Eventually I want to get a handgun in 5.7 x28 and kinda hope Glock makes one in the near future or I find a FN57 that isn't absurdly priced, I had one of the LE pistols back in the early 2000's and sold it due to ammo being impossible to obtain at the time . I love love love my PS90 , its my goto critter killer around the property and a nice little camp rifle .

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pfft... Ammo is down to ONLY .60 cents per round.

:bolt:
Even so brother, it is a round without a problem to solve. Fun to own and chat about, and it is a super soft shooting round with great ballistics, just a solution without a problem. I need a compact version and then it may be in the plausible carry option. Hot little round, easy shooter, but nothing I can’t do with a 9mm also. Just my .02,
And like I mentioned..I got 1500 rounds and the gun so not anti 5.7 just haven’t found a use for it besides fun. Car gun I guess, though I still lean towards heavier bullets. I imagine it would shoot through glass and cars good :). A good quality for a car gun.. pistol is just big

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see much point in the 5.7 as a pistol. However, I really like my PS90, so I guess I could use one as a sidearm where I could use the same ammo. That's about the only use for me.