Smith and Wesson revolver question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W M&P, it looks like a barrel change to me (differing finish). Someone changed to a 2" barrel at the same time they bobbed the hammer and then parkerized it. Add a different newer set of stocks and a little work on the internals. That would be my guess anyway.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about keeping the hammer as is. With this gun, you aren't going to be shooting it at ranges beyond up close and personal. If the DA trigger is good, you can be as accurate, and way faster shooting it DA.

Absolutely (nearly) everybody wants to cock revolvers before firing. For anything but competition accuracy and hunting, that's not the best plan because of speed and safety issues. CB

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think about keeping the hammer as is. With this gun, you aren't going to be shooting it at ranges beyond up close and personal. If the DA trigger is good, you can be as accurate, and way faster shooting it DA.

Absolutely (nearly) everybody wants to cock revolvers before firing. For anything but competition accuracy and hunting, that's not the best plan because of speed and safety issues. CB

+1. If it is mechanically sound I'd keep it just like it is and let others wonder what stories it might tell. But that's just me. I tend to like things that have "character"! :D

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For God's sake DO NOT refinish that old feller! :nono1:

Doing so takes away it's very soul. Just imagine if that little iron could talk! Oh, the stories and tales it could tell. Rich, wonderful stories of days gone by and a time of yesteryear when folks knew their role...men were men, women were women and there wasn't any confusion about it.

Kids called everybody older than their big brother or sister "sir" and "ma'am." Men wore hats and suspenders...women wore dresses and stockings with the seam going up the back of the leg. NOBODY worked on Sunday. And Americans were just a tighter knit group of folks.

Why would you wanna destroy the virtue, valor and honor that this vintage sixgun stood for. He probably rode many a mile on a detective's hip, during long stakeouts and longer interviews. It probably saw collars that you and I have probably read about in history books. Pure Americana in it's most purest form, right there in your hand. :patriot:

I would take it to a REPUTABLE gunsmith - NOT a shadetree smittie and make sure it's guts are all intact and that it is mechanically safe and sound to fire. Then I'd search out and find some era correct stocks and a vintage era correct leather scabbard for it...like maybe a Tom Threepersons holster or something. Grab some standard loaded ammo and have a ball!

Hell, if you don't wanna mess with it, give me a shout. I'll take it off your hands. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom