Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 quick review.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking for a .22 rifle to teach my son with. Would this be a better option than the 10/22? Im a planner and want to start looking.
Hard decision. The guy from OKC that won the world speed shooting match years ago was shooting a 10-22.
Watching some of the steel challenge competitions on TV and shooting in the same personally see more people shooting the AR variants like the S&W or the Nordic NC-22 upper that I currently shoot.
Personally, I don't get the reliability from a 10-22 platform that the AR produces. I have two 10-22's, both are stainless actions, one has been converted to a Nordic AR style stock that I use as a loaner to a shooter that wants to start in steel challenge. FTE is the downfall of both of them and I use premium high speed ammo when competing. The AR platforms have none of those issues.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time I had a 22lr conversion kit for my AR, worked kind of So-So. It was alright I suppose. But I bought a 15-22, sold the conversion kit, and never looked back. Nice little plinker.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking for a .22 rifle to teach my son with. Would this be a better option than the 10/22? Im a planner and want to start looking.
Obviously the 10/22 is a solid option. However for a young boy I’d say grab a M&P 15-22. My 10yr old son favors my 15-22 over traditional .22 rifles (Henry, model 60, 10/22,etc) he loves shooting the 15-22. Ya know, it’s “tacticool”

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never heard of great reliability from the AR conversion kits.
I have had nearly perfect reliability from my CMMG conversion kit. The trick is to add a couple Bore Buddy parts. First is the buffer tube plug, it puts pressure on the back of the bolt to force it in place in the forward position. (Eliminates the BCG slop) Second, I added the rear plastic bolt striker plate to soften the recoil slap of the bolt. With those two pieces in place, I have had ZERO malfunctions on hundreds of cheap bulk ammo.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Cricket has never been a great option as the cocking bolt was always such a pain. The kid wasn’t strong enough, always in a difficult position to do it, threw the kid off target, etc. Much better in the youth bolt action world is the Savage Rascal for numbers of reasons, but predominantly it cocks on closing the bolt.

However, the 15-22 is much cooler. Probably one of my favorites.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
My oldest granddaughter (15) had a blast with it. She did great ringing the steel plates at 25 yards as well as printing some reasonable groups on paper and had an ear to ear grin.
I did pick up a few extra magazines for a total of 5 now. we'll see how they hold up. Now I've got to start looking for more .22 ammo, my 5,000 round stash isn't looking quite so big now :D .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had nearly perfect reliability from my CMMG conversion kit. The trick is to add a couple Bore Buddy parts. First is the buffer tube plug, it puts pressure on the back of the bolt to force it in place in the forward position. (Eliminates the BCG slop) Second, I added the rear plastic bolt striker plate to soften the recoil slap of the bolt. With those two pieces in place, I have had ZERO malfunctions on hundreds of cheap bulk ammo.
Good to know there are fixes to make them reliable. Had never heard of those. Thanks for the heads up!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My oldest granddaughter (15) had a blast with it. She did great ringing the steel plates at 25 yards as well as printing some reasonable groups on paper and had an ear to ear grin.
I did pick up a few extra magazines for a total of 5 now. we'll see how they hold up. Now I've got to start looking for more .22 ammo, my 5,000 round stash isn't looking quite so big now :D .
Kids do that to you. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom