Smith & Wesson M & P 15-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one from OPS right before Christmas, but have not shot it yet. I read up on them quite a bit beforehand, and they seemed to have less issues than the rest of the AR 22 clones. I started to buy a dedicated 22lr upper, but they were around $200 and for another $180 I had a complete gun.

I am planning on taking it on some Practical Rifle matches, as well as some Steel Challenges. If I don't shoot it, I can take it for my son to shoot them with me.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have ne of these and if so how do you like it and are you having any issues with them?

I have two, and my family and I have enjoyed them. I have replaced the sights with Magpul backup sights as I have played around with different optics ranging from cheap red dots to Eotechs. The MP15-22 is very easy to field strip for cleaning. They can be a little ammo sensative, but seem to run fine on Federal 550 bulk pack, Federal Automach, Winchester 333's, CCI Mini Mags. Overall though, in my experience the MP15-22's are not as ammo sensitive as the Colt/Walther M-4OPS. I have not seen Remington Golden run reliably in any semi-auto outside of my Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock.

One has been problem free and I had some minor issues with the other. The minor issues included: 1) having the extractor come out on one within the first 500 rounds through the gun. Fortunately I found all the parts, i.e., the extractor, plunger and spring, and was able to get everything back where it belonged. 2) The same rifle then began to experience frequent stovepipes, anywhere from 1 to 5 per magazine. I tweaked the ejector, meaning I moved it maybe 1/16 of an inch with a screwdriver and have not had anymore problems with stovepipes.

Of course this is just my experience and opinions, your mileage may vary.