Dan Wesson 1911 worth the $

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, they are nice guns but for that kind of money I would buy a nice used Les Baer
^^^100% Agree^^^
I’ve had Dan Wessons, and I’ve had Baers. Used Baers can be had in the $1500-1700 price range, and as much as I think DW builds a nice 1911, I’d buy a used Baer before a DW every day and twice on Sunday. :anyone:

Unless it’s sold in the last 24 hours, I know where a Baer Thunder Ranch Special can be had for $1500.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^100% Agree^^^
I’ve had Dan Wessons, and I’ve had Baers. Used Baers can be had in the $1500-1700 price range, and as much as I think DW builds a nice 1911, I’d buy a used Baer before a DW every day and twice on Sunday. :anyone:

Unless it’s sold in the last 24 hours, I know where a Baer Thunder Ranch Special can be had for $1500.
$1500 LB, no you don't. Stay away from me, I can't sale any more blood. As it is I can't go out in the sunshine.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1708118292092.jpeg

I believe they are. This Guardian was born a 9mm. A Super .38 barrel was fitted so she is dual caliber. Both are flawless and price-wise well under 2K and I really enjoy shooting it. BTW, CZ also owns Colt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$1500 LB, no you don't. Stay away from me, I can't sale any more blood. As it is I can't go out in the sunshine.
You’re in luck, because I just checked and it’s sold. The guy’s been trying to unload it for about a month. He tried to trade it to me, but it’s a Le Claire built gun. I already have a TRS that’s a Hillsdale built gun.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911's are expensive guns if you want one that runs really well. People with their bargain basement Kimbers will tell you how great they are until they bring them to a class and try to run them hard like a gun you would bet your life on to fight with and they quickly realize how poorly made they are.

I don't have an opinion on the Dan Wesson's, my comment is more general in that if you want a very accurate, very reliable gun for little money it's something like the HK VP9. If you want to play the 1911 or 2011 game you need to pony up $2,000+ and some of that might need to go to a very competent gunsmith to finish hand fitting. Now here come the guys that say their $300 Rock River 1911 is the best gun ever made as they go shoot slow fire 25 rounds from a bench rest and forget it still had 2 stoppages.

An interesting fact about why WWI and II mass-produced 1911's were reliable is that all the ammo for them was made to the EXACT same specification. It's easier not to have feed ramp stoppages when the angle and curvature of the round never ever varies. It's a luxury the military has most of us don't unless we are cognizant of what works in our guns and buy a lot of it.

The only place I still see this is in the less than 1% of guys that understand revolver sights are often regulated to a specific load meaning a certain round will hit dead on their sights. Also, ALL semi-auto shotguns are relatively unreliable if you mix rounds and loads but if you find a round that works and run only that in the gun it will run pretty flawlessly.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
The only place I still see this is in the less than 1% of guys that understand revolver sights are often regulated to a specific load meaning a certain round will hit dead on their sights.
I don’t understand what you’re saying, please explain further, thanks.