Dan Wesson 1911 worth the $

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not agree with you about having to spend two thousand dollars to get a good shooting 1911. I bought a Rock Island for the simple reason is I wanted a gun but I wouldn't mind scratching up, taking out to the woods and I didn't want to take my Les Baer and my other customs. The Rock Island mag was junk, but after I put a Wilson mag in it, I could not get it to malfunction and I tried. I'm not saying it was as accurate as my higher end 1911's, but I would have had no problem carrying it as an EDC.
I'm not saying a RI is anywhere near is as nice, but I don't feel you have to spend 2 grand to get one that is reliable. The guns and ammo they're putting out today will outshoot 95% of the people shooting them.
You bring up a good point.
All 1911 mags aren’t created equal. Most everyone I know buys the cheapest piece of chit mags they can find and then talks trash about their gun for not feeding perfectly. When I let them borrow one of my Wilson or Tripps, it’s amazing how well their guns start feeding, and then I start hearing the “well, it’s probably just finally broken in”. No you dumb@ss it’s because you’re finally using a good function magazine.
I’ve owned at least a dozen Kimbers that were sold to me for cheap as “jamomatics”, and the first thing I did was throw the mags that came with the gun in the trash. Wilson or Tripp mags didn’t cure every gun, but it did for the vast majority.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which part and describe in detail where I'm wrong because I know what I said would only not make sense to people with little to no training or experience with firearms.

Get over yourself lol.
Where should I educate you?

The part about only 2K 1911s being reliable?

Or the part where you believe that the only reason WWIIs were reliable were due to ammo consistency? Holy crap man, that's retarded.

Where do you want me to start?

If anyone is serious about learning something this talk by Ken Hackathron goes over the part I was discussing about the .45 round. You can add "ogive" to your vocabulary after.

Ken is right about mags. Most mags are garbage and that's the main issue with 1911s. However, put an old colt or GI mag in most guns. No issues. Wilson, Tripp, or CMC. No issues in quality platforms.

Boy Ol' Ken cracked me up recently in his comments about red dots and AIWB carry lol.....spinning tales of fudlore.

Point is, he's not the end all be all by any means.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Save some money and buy a Bul Armory .. I’ve had a Springfield emissary.. Colt series 70. Currently have a Tisas .. hands down my Bul is an amazing 1911 for 800$ nice crisp trigger break and reset. Has a bull barrel(I’m a fan of bull barrels) slide feels like it’s on ball bearings. And super accurate. You might wanna take a look at them.. View attachment 454676

Glad you posted one of those, impressive 1911s for the money.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The quality of Dan Wesson 1911s just came up in a group I belong to and several members were very disappointed with the current production 1911s they had purchased. Notably the Duty Finish that touted as the most durable finish on the market is prone to discoloration from harsh solvents. So, basically anything you’d normally use to clean a gun is going to discolor finish, even masking tape should you desire to make off the slide prior to changing the sights. More concerning are issues with failure to feed and extraction issues due to poor extractor fit/tension. Also, mentioned were sights not calibrated correctly, slides hanging up on the disconnector, and trouble getting optics mounting plates. They experienced generally poor customer support when these issues were brought to the attention of DW customer service.

You’d be wise to note that CZ-USA/COLT/Dan Wesson have all been merged together within the past few years and there are many complaints about all three companies cropping up. Word is that the once great management of CZ-USA was replaced by the management team from Colt. Not good by the estimate of many. I think there was hope that the good of DW would rub off on Colt and improve the quality of Colt’s 1911 product, this doesn’t seem to be case. Sad because I do believe the positive experiences by many here have had with DW 1911s are sincere.