Smith & Wesson M&P15-22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken E. Lee

New to the site!
Reaction score
My first time post. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season. I am wanting to purchase one of the S&W M&P15-22. I saw on a web site that it was available for $399.00. I have saw it as low as $369.00, but this is with a $100 gift card rebate. Does anyone know if this price is still available and if so where can I get one.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheapest I've seen them locally is OPS and they were $399 and I think that was a sale price at the Sooner Gun Show. Most places they will be between $430 and $450. I bought one and they are a hoot to shoot. Welcome to OSA!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go another route unless Smith has fixed their reliability problems. I've heard numerous stories about all sorts of malfunctions with either the M&P22 or the Colt .22.

I was looking to buy one at one time and decided not to because of all the issues I read about.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go another route unless Smith has fixed their reliability problems. I've heard numerous stories about all sorts of malfunctions with either the M&P22 or the Colt .22.

I was looking to buy one at one time and decided not to because of all the issues I read about.

Same story for me. Glad I waited.

Liked the look and feel of the Ruger, but it appeared to be just a tricked out 10/22. Looked at the new Sig a couple days ago and really liked it.

Leaning more toward an Ar upper in .22.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyed with the Idea of a dedicated .22 AR and looked at the Colt, Smith, etc... but found mixed reviews from all of them. So at the Sooner Show I purchased the CMMG .22 conversion with 2 black dog mags for 200.oo and after the break-in problems in the first 20 rounds or so it has been great... :gun1: Not sure if I was just fortunate or if they are all this good but mine will put 5 rds in a nickel sized hole at 35 yards using my Eothingy in a standard 5.56 1/9 chrome lined bore and barrel, this was using 60 gr Aquila SSS. Seemed to shoot to same POI as the SIlver Bear 62 gr. practice ammo I use. Was gonna take pics but was having so much fun and it got mighy dark and cold before I had a chance.
pktrkt

Ken E. Lee

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear of the problems with the Smith & Wesson 15-22. All I have read in different gun magazines give it good marks. In one article the writer said he had fired over 1000 rounds in his with no jams. Guess I will do a little further research. Thanks for the responses. Hope all had a Merry Christmas and hope the New Year is even better.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyed with the Idea of a dedicated .22 AR and looked at the Colt, Smith, etc... but found mixed reviews from all of them. So at the Sooner Show I purchased the CMMG .22 conversion with 2 black dog mags for 200.oo and after the break-in problems in the first 20 rounds or so it has been great... :

Same here - I've heard the Spikes nickel-plated is better up-front since the surfaces are so slick.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheapest I've seen them locally is OPS and they were $399 and I think that was a sale price at the Sooner Gun Show. Most places they will be between $430 and $450. I bought one and they are a hoot to shoot. Welcome to OSA!

I bought one also, have not been able to shoot it yet. Looks like alot of fun, think I am going to take my son with me to shoot some matches with it.

Hey Andy, got some links? All of the press I saw on them was pretty positive, as opposed to the articles I saw on the GSG, and especially the Colt. I talked to Eric about it as well, and his impression was the same as what I had heard. I don't believe that he would say something just to make a sale, and don't doubt that you have heard to the contrary, so I was just curious to see what issues they are seeing with them. Was it mag related? From what I see on this one, the mag is a little different than the Black Dog mags, so I am wondering if I just need to bite the bullet and buy some extra Smith mags?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one also, have not been able to shoot it yet. Looks like alot of fun, think I am going to take my son with me to shoot some matches with it.

Hey Andy, got some links? All of the press I saw on them was pretty positive, as opposed to the articles I saw on the GSG, and especially the Colt. I talked to Eric about it as well, and his impression was the same as what I had heard. I don't believe that he would say something just to make a sale, and don't doubt that you have heard to the contrary, so I was just curious to see what issues they are seeing with them. Was it mag related? From what I see on this one, the mag is a little different than the Black Dog mags, so I am wondering if I just need to bite the bullet and buy some extra Smith mags?

Mostly Broken or missing extractors, feedramps, ejectors, and some various QC issues with fit/finish.

Here's some links:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=m&p15-22+issues&aq=f&aqi=g10&oq=&fp=b36c7832dbb01be6

I'll be honest, I really hope that the news that S&W is addressing some or all of these issues is true because I really like S&W as a company and they have done right by their customers for quite some time now, but there are a lot of reported issues for this to be a rifle with the M&P logo on the side of it (.22 or not).