Smoked some torpedoes/fatties for the first time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
First time for everything, I've been missing out all these years I guess, fantastic! Made one with bacon, breakfast sausage, jalapeno, kielbasa and cheese. And another with Bacon, breakfast sausage, jalapeno, fajita beef and cheese. Used the same rub on both with one change on the fajita torpedo.
Lace 1.5lbs of thick sliced bacon on wax paper, sprinkle on some rub, press flat 2lbs of sausage in a 1 gal zip lock bag, cut the sides out of the zip lock and place sausage on the bacon, sprinkle on some more rub, place 1/2lb precooked bacon, cheese, jalapeno, and kielbasa and the rest of the rub, roll up sausage tightly, then roll the sausage roll back over with the bacon lace. Smoked at 225 for little over 5 hours.
rub:
-granulated garlic
-onion powder
-paprika
-black pepper
-ground cumin
-chili powder
-brown sugar
-sriracha powder(fajita fattie)
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20161230_213004_zpssjdhkiup.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20161230_214106_zpspzkxeba5.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20161231_185745_zpssufpx3te.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20161231_192243_zpsdfprgxrv.jpg

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good, but it also looks like you are now ruined ---- To me making fatties is like having sex or drinking a cold beer, if you like it, it is hard to stop. Ha Ha

We do a couple fatties every month or so, usually a breakfast one and then a sandwich or eat off the plate one. There are so many combinations you can do with sausage or ground beef it seems we never make two exactly the same, we start out, then say hey "lets add some" -- whatever.

Thanks for sharing.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One question on doing a fattie -

Due to the amount of fat that will be produced in the cooking process, is it OK to place it directly on the smoker grate above the heat deflector or is there a need to collect the fat to keep it out of the coals?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One question on doing a fattie -

Due to the amount of fat that will be produced in the cooking process, is it OK to place it directly on the smoker grate above the heat deflector or is there a need to collect the fat to keep it out of the coals?
Not sure, my heat comes from the side. Looks like produces about as much drip and pork buts if not more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom