Smoked some torpedoes/fatties for the first time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One question on doing a fattie -

Due to the amount of fat that will be produced in the cooking process, is it OK to place it directly on the smoker grate above the heat deflector or is there a need to collect the fat to keep it out of the coals?

It depends on your smoker is built and how air tight it is, if you are going to get flare ups with nasty soot, I would say no. If it can drip and "smoke" off on the coals, I would say it should add to the flavor. If it will just drip smoke off on the, yes add to the flavor, but will make an ash mess. I would use a throw away foil pan for it to smoke off in, add water if you want to slow it down or stop it. This time of year with very low humidity having a little water in your catch pan can be an advantage.

I usually smoke my fatties in the electric smoker (I got lazy a few years back) with a pan underneath to catch the drippings then do a quick crisp of the bacon on my propane grill, so that way fat drip is not a problem for me.

I do have a charcoal smoker where I can have the charcoal and wood chunks about 3 ft below the smoking grate and I can control the air flow well. On it I can get away with the juice slow dripping feeding down into my coals and smoking off without having flare ups unless I open the lid and let more air in and allow it to flame a few seconds while checking on it if needed. I smoke everything at 225'. I suggest looking at smokingmeatforums.com. It is my goto site for anything to deal with smoking, everything and more is there. Do a search in the upper right corner for your brand of smoker. It is the major world wide smoking site based out of Prattville, OK. I am 801Driver there.

As long as it's smoking, it ain't flaming. Good luck to you.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on your smoker is built and how air tight it is, if you are going to get flare ups with nasty soot, I would say no. If it can drip and "smoke" off on the coals, I would say it should add to the flavor. If it will just drip smoke off on the, yes add to the flavor, but will make an ash mess. I would use a throw away foil pan for it to smoke off in, add water if you want to slow it down or stop it. This time of year with very low humidity having a little water in your catch pan can be an advantage.

I usually smoke my fatties in the electric smoker (I got lazy a few years back) with a pan underneath to catch the drippings then do a quick crisp of the bacon on my propane grill, so that way fat drip is not a problem for me.

I do have a charcoal smoker where I can have the charcoal and wood chunks about 3 ft below the smoking grate and I can control the air flow well. On it I can get away with the juice slow dripping feeding down into my coals and smoking off without having flare ups unless I open the lid and let more air in and allow it to flame a few seconds while checking on it if needed. I smoke everything at 225'. I suggest looking at smokingmeatforums.com. It is my goto site for anything to deal with smoking, everything and more is there. Do a search in the upper right corner for your brand of smoker. It is the major world wide smoking site based out of Prattville, OK. I am 801Driver there.

As long as it's smoking, it ain't flaming. Good luck to you.

I use a kamado-style ceramic smoker that's egg-shaped yet not green so I'd say it's good to go on being able to have control on air flow. I just did some jalapeno poppers at Christmas that were bacon-wrapped without problem but that's not the same quantity of fat as a torpedo.

Thanks for the reminder on smokingmeatforums.com. I've been there a while and have the rub and sauce recipes. I've used the rub and really like it. The site was recommended to me by a friend who occasionally does competition Q but he didn't mention it was based in Prattville. I find that interesting since that's where I live, too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a kamado-style ceramic smoker that's egg-shaped yet not green so I'd say it's good to go on being able to have control on air flow. I just did some jalapeno poppers at Christmas that were bacon-wrapped without problem but that's not the same quantity of fat as a torpedo.

Thanks for the reminder on smokingmeatforums.com. I've been there a while and have the rub and sauce recipes. I've used the rub and really like it. The site was recommended to me by a friend who occasionally does competition Q but he didn't mention it was based in Prattville. I find that interesting since that's where I live, too.

I sold my Cookshack for a Big Green Egg. Both are top shelf and I do miss the Smokette Elite sometimes for it's convenience, but I much prefer the BGE. Ceramic kamado cooking just has "something" that no other method does.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my Cookshack for a Big Green Egg. Both are top shelf and I do miss the Smokette Elite sometimes for it's convenience, but I much prefer the BGE. Ceramic kamado cooking just has "something" that no other method does.

When I did the outside kitchen, I was between the Cookshack and the egg but went with the egg due to a good price at Sam's for a BGE look-alike. However, if I ever decide to add to my tools, the Cookshack is the one to have, IMO. I've been told they just moved to a new facility in Ponca City to expand operations.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I did the outside kitchen, I was between the Cookshack and the egg but went with the egg due to a good price at Sam's for a BGE look-alike. However, if I ever decide to add to my tools, the Cookshack is the one to have, IMO. I've been told they just moved to a new facility in Ponca City to expand operations.

Oh there's no doubt that they are quality kit, and being made here in Oklahoma is just gravy. The Cookshack is set it and forget it easy, but I've done stew, chili and even peach cobbler in my BGE. Couldn't do any of that in the CS. I prefer an actual fire most times and with the fantastic airflow control and the thick ceramic the temp is super stable once you get it settled in. If I could justify it I'd add another Cookshack to my BGE in a heartbeat. Maybe someday...

Latest posts

Top Bottom