Snake sidearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my fishing exploits widening and growing more frequent, I have been seeing more snakes. I'm not a huge fan, and my fishing buddy is terrified of snakes. I'm also getting my bowfishing bow in this week, and will be using it on the shore and wading.

You guys keep anything on hand for snakes? I've been thinking a .410 derringer, a taurus judge, or a 44mag with snake shot. However, the 44mag that I want is prohibitively expensive to have as a fishing gun, the taurus I am concerned about quality and reliability, and the derringers I've seen are in the $400 range, which to me is a bit pricey for one. I love the idea of a derringer though, as it is small and won't be in the way.

You guys have any ideas or suggestions? I've even had someone suggest turning a 20ga into an AOW, but I want something I can shoot with one hand if needed, as I may be carrying a bow. I've thought about a .22 pistol maybe, but I'm not a big fan of the idea of shooting that at water.

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with a wheel gun in the .357 range, you can get snake shot if that is what you want and you can usually find them cheap and if you need to take care of something bigger than a snake it will do the job

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with a wheel gun in the .357 range, you can get snake shot if that is what you want and you can usually find them cheap and if you need to take care of something bigger than a snake it will do the job

Hmmmm another thing I have been thinking about getting. Haven't considered using a 357 for snakes though.

A 22mag naa mini revolver

Tried to hold one once. Didn't really fit into my hand. And with something that small I would have to worry about being accurate.

+1

My experience with the Judge is nothing but good. I've shot my dad's quite frequently.

Noted. What model on the judges guys? I'm looking at a 3" stainless model if I go with a taurus.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 3"X3" stainless judge. It's deadly on snakes at 3 yds or less. Gets holes in the pattern at longer ranges.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how well snake shot patterns from a 5", 1911. Very nice 12" pattern at 5 yds.
I have an old wood barn that's blown down, so it's used as a pattern board.

Also Speer makes the shot capsules for different calibers. The one I have for .44 mag filled with 7 1/2 shot over 6.5 grains of unique shoots a nice pattern if your into rolling your own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom