Snake sidearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you on that, but for my peace of mind I like to have something to deal with the occasional cottonmouth that thinks he's brave. I've had them go after fish I've caught before, and esp if I'm hip deep in water I don't want my only option to be telling him to "go away".

Agreed. Cotton Mouths are very aggressive, sometimes unavoidable.

I have dispatched copperheads from around the house to keep us all safe, and the rat snakes that like to eat my eggs, and sometimes attempt the chicken or 2.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw one up in Osage Co. I believe it was. Was on a survey crew, walking back to the van to end the day and a racer stood up like a cobra in the grass. I was gonna back up and my party chief said DONT MOVE. Then he took a step forward and it hauled ars. Best snake encounter we ever had was a rattler on a rock ledge about 6' below where we stood on the side of the bank overlooking a deep creek. We used the range pole and started poking down there at him. He was repeatedly striking at the pole and almost seemed to be blindly striking. He bit himself in the back. it was awesome!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was once collecting water samples from a river, and was waist deep in the water, when a cottonmouth started swimming towards me from about 10 yards away. As the bank was steep and rocky, I picked up a softball-sized rock and lobbed it at the snake. Boom, got it right in the middle and submerged it. When it resurfaced, it swam away with alacrity.

In hindsight, I probably should have booked it outta there with no delay. I don't think I could have made that shot again in my lifetime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom