So.... driving in the left lane will soon get ya a ticket!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm inclined to say "no:"

47 O.S. 11-304:
(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

1. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

2. Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction [emphasis mine];

3. Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main traveled portion of the roadway.
--------------------------------------
(a)(2) would seem to include interstate highways. Additionally, (a)(3) would seem to apply, based on the definition of "roadway" in 47 O.S. 1-158(a): "Roadway. That portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the shoulder. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term 'roadway' as used herein shall refer to any such roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively."
I didn't think it was.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is passing on the right is illegal on a multilane highway?
In light of #2 on post #190 I cant tell? The "in each direction" could be interpreted a couple of ways. Are they talking about a divided highway? Is the "in each direction" pertinent to a set of lanes specific to a single direction (having a set for each direction)? I dunno man! I always was under the impression it was. Don't you just love Oklahoma statutes? LMAO!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, try driving in LA during Rush Hour traffic. Its bumper to bumper at 70mph!!!! I was stationed in Panama back in 88 and flew into LA to drive Home to San Jose. Being in Panama for 2 years I was used to bumper to bumper traffic going 30mph. So I rent a car and proceed to drive home.

By the time I got over the mountain north of LA I had to pull off and

1. Take a piss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Get cup of coffee!!!

3. Smoke a WHOLE pack of cigarettes I was so ****ing stressed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id try and back off of the car in front of me and damned if somebody else didn't pull in front of me again closing the distance. And I don't mean bumper to bumper as in a car like 3 car lengths behind you. I mean like you can barely see the F***ing head lights of the car behind you in the rear view.

GOD that was Effin nerve racking

I was in LA a few years ago and had rented a Dodge Charger, I was in a similar traffic situation except the left lane was moving at nearly 85mph at bumper to bumper! I was going 80mph and had to move out of the left lane. I was a bit tired, therefore I did not feel like keeping up with the rest of 'em.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
--------------------------------------
(a)(2) would seem to include interstate highways. Additionally, (a)(3) would seem to apply, based on the definition of "roadway" in 47 O.S. 1-158(a): "Roadway. That portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the shoulder. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term 'roadway' as used herein shall refer to any such roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively."

Just saw this part... :hithead:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in LA a few years ago and had rented a Dodge Charger, I was in a similar traffic situation except the left lane was moving at nearly 85mph at bumper to bumper! I was going 80mph and had to move out of the left lane. I was a bit tired, therefore I did not feel like keeping up with the rest of 'em.

Been there, use to drive like a maniac when I was living in So Cal. Came back to Oklahoma and slowed down a bit. After I had been here for several years drove back for my daughters wedding. Was coming down from the hills into LA and realized I was doing 80 in the right lane keeping up with traffic in my lane and being passed. Looked over at the wife and said welcome to So Cal...

Latest posts

Top Bottom