So ya wanna be a gunsmith???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I very much disagree on money being in repairs. I found that specializing in a narrow band of custom work is far more profitable and the customers easier to deal with. If a guy breaks his gun its akin to having your car break down... its something that NEEDS done not something you want to do and they often want to nickel and dime you to death and then tend to slow pay as well. Offering custom work, you usually only get folks who want to spend money and have planned for the sale. It's just my .02.
If I'd switched to bluing and parkerizing only, instead of trying to do it all. I'd probably still be in the business or dead from the fumes. Really liked refinishing.

If anybody ever needs an obsolete part hit me up. I have thousands I need to get rid of.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally agree sir! One here got overwhelmed, screwed his books, and in turn screwed all his customers over.
It is hard to keep up sometimes but knowing your limitations is key. Don't take on what you can't do or too much to do. Luckily when I get booked up, I can send them to you! LOL

Be safe out there tonight buddy!
You too. I see your guys on TV every night. The streets are mean out there

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slow pay?

$$$ paid before gun leaves shop
Not picked up in 30 days and it is sold for repaid.
No different than car break down.
Yes, slow pay. I'm in PA and we have some some rather lopsided abandoned property laws. We can, of course, liquidate the property after 30 days but how that money is reported to and then taxed (stolen) by the state can be a much bigger pain and cost more than the hassle of waiting for the customer to pick up their property.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'd switched to bluing and parkerizing only, instead of trying to do it all. I'd probably still be in the business or dead from the fumes. Really liked refinishing.

If anybody ever needs an obsolete part hit me up. I have thousands I need to get rid of.
You ever run across a Hawes large frame 22 mag cylinder I would be interested.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
A month or two ago, I had a difficult fix for a member's gun. There were two different solutions all over the Tube and NEITHER was the fix. I took the time and figured it out. I did NOT put my fix on the Tube.
okay, but why not? as to why something is *popular* on youtube is certainly up for debate (lowest common denominator, gaming the algo, etc), but i don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't share information that could be beneficial to someone.

information should be free. i share what i do; most people aren't willing to do the work. that doesn't mean i have to be secretive about how i do it. i'm more than willing to talk about photoshop any time lol; there's no reason for me to hide my work behind esoteric gates.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
okay, but why not? as to why something is *popular* on youtube is certainly up for debate (lowest common denominator, gaming the algo, etc), but i don't see any reason as to why you wouldn't share information that could be beneficial to someone.

information should be free. i share what i do; most people aren't willing to do the work. that doesn't mean i have to be secretive about how i do it. i'm more than willing to talk about photoshop any time lol; there's no reason for me to hide my work behind esoteric gates.

There are 2 rules for success.

1. Don't tell everything you know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom