Social Security Admin orders 170,000 .357 sig rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the Blaze
This is a long article.. so I'm only posting the first part.. read the rest at the link below
-------------------------

Social Security Administration Requests Massive Amounts of .357 Ammo — But Why?
Posted on August 15, 2012 at 1:55pm by Jason Howerton

First the Department of Homeland Security ordered 450 million rounds of ammunition, then the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) submitted an order for 46,000 rounds of high powered ammo, and now Business Insider reports that the Social Security Administration is asking to purchase 174,000 rounds of .357 Sig 125 grain bonded jacketed hollow point bullets.

This type of ammunition is arguably one of the more powerful available. R.K. Campbell at Gun Blast describes his experience with the .357 ammo:

“I observed the effect of the .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP once over the top of my own sights. The effect was gruesome. A solid hit that produced a severe blood flow AND dramatic effect from the rear, including lung tissue thrown perhaps three feet.”

The purchase request from SSA was discovered at FBO.gov. What the agency plans on doing with these bullets is still unclear at this point, but the move has set the internet ablaze with speculation.

Read more @-

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rea...weather-service-request-46000-rounds-of-ammo/

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What seems unusual to me is that the SSA is armed with the .357 Sig. Isn't that kind of a odd ball round when most other government agencies are using .40's and other of the more popular calibers?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What seems unusual to me is that the SSA is armed with the .357 Sig. Isn't that kind of a odd ball round when most other government agencies are using .40's and other of the more popular calibers?

What's odd to me is why does the SSA need firearms and ammo in the first place?

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing to see here, move on along and quit fear-mongering, lol.

Things just keep getting weirder! As CCR once said.... "I see a bad moon rising".

What's funny is ask 10 random people about all these ammo buys and at least 9 of them won't have a clue what you are talking about.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this really so odd? don't many agencies have their own enforcement (not that they should but they do). It doesn't seem to me that 170,000 rounds is really all that much to train their agents. once you divide it amongst their agents and then the number of training sessions per agent and then the average number of rounds per training session, it doesn't seem to be that much of a panic-inducing-tin-foil-hat-wearing event

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dru said:
Is this really so odd? don't many agencies have their own enforcement (not that they should but they do). It doesn't seem to me that 170,000 rounds is really all that much to train their agents. once you divide it amongst their agents and then the number of training sessions per agent and then the average number of rounds per training session, it doesn't seem to be that much of a panic-inducing-tin-foil-hat-wearing event

It's not odd if they have their own security force. However, the the very few times that I have dealt with the local SSA, it looked to me like security was performed by a contracted firm.

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What is really odd is that the National Weather Service ordered a whole truck load of ammo in .40 I believe. Does the NWS have its own security force so if the weather forecast is wrong, they don't get attacked?

Regarding the comment by dru concerning payments into SS, if my money I paid into SS, and am still paying into SS over the 55 years I have been working, had been left in the SS fund, drew compound interest or even was invested into safe and secure investments instead of being drawn out and spent by those idiots in Congress, there would be more than enough to pay my SS.

But they just could not leave it alone.

Sorry for continuing to hijack the thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom