Social Security Admin orders 170,000 .357 sig rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to head off some of the usual comments in these threads - Yes, I do understand Federal procurement and terms like IDIQ. And, yes, like another poster, I know some fedgov agencies have some law enforcement arm and authority. And, yes, I understand they can burn through some ammo for qualifications and practice.

OK, given all those qualifiers and that I seriously work at being on lower end of the paranoia scale, this stuff is getting weirder with each post of a new RFP/RFQ from another agency (SSA, NWS, etc.) that doesn't easily cause me to think of "law enforcement". I think the amount and type (JHP, obviously not practice ammo), along with the weird agency connection, just raises too many questions.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK - That's it . . . I'm opening a Tin-Foil* Hat store. I'm gonna retire rich!

*Tin foil hats are made of aluminum, as tin foil has never been sold as a retail product.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First the Department of Homeland Security ordered 450 million rounds of ammunition, then the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) submitted an order for 46,000 rounds of high powered ammo, and now Business Insider reports that the Social Security Administration is asking to purchase 174,000 rounds of .357 Sig 125 grain bonded jacketed hollow point bullets.

This type of ammunition is arguably one of the more powerful available. R.K. Campbell at Gun Blast describes his experience with the .357 ammo:

“I observed the effect of the .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP once over the top of my own sights. The effect was gruesome. A solid hit that produced a severe blood flow AND dramatic effect from the rear, including lung tissue thrown perhaps three feet.”

The purchase request from SSA was discovered at FBO.gov. What the agency plans on doing with these bullets is still unclear at this point, but the move has set the internet ablaze with speculation.

This ignorant writer doesn't even realize that .357 Sig and .357 Mag are two completely different rounds. Idiot.

I guess the SSA needs the extra energy of the Sig round to get penetration on grandpa's rebuilt hip.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this really so odd? don't many agencies have their own enforcement (not that they should but they do). It doesn't seem to me that 170,000 rounds is really all that much to train their agents. once you divide it amongst their agents and then the number of training sessions per agent and then the average number of rounds per training session, it doesn't seem to be that much of a panic-inducing-tin-foil-hat-wearing event

What does the SSA need to "enforce" that they wouldn't use local PD or "enforcment" agencies for? Why do SSA agents need firearm training? They aren't kicking in people's doors or patroling the streets. They're checking numbers and files. Office security would be handled by a federal security agency due to SSA offices being in federal buildings. So why does the SSA need 170K+ rounds?

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is not my tinfoil hat speaking, but I saw one of barry's speeches on TV and in that speech he expressed the need for a civilian police force. I was surprised that he would make a comment like that and it did not get much comment on the conservative media.

Now he has Homeland Security and is apparently arming every agency he can arm.

The scary thing to remember is Hitlers Brown Shirts and the civilian police forces in other countries that have been used to benefit leaders. China comes to mind as well as Russia.

Just sayin.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So when does the tin foil hat BS go away? When they start hoarding us into camps? No, most ppl will claim tinfoil until one of those .40sw rounds tears and shreds through their vital organs.

I sense a gigantic false flag attack on the horizon that would facilitate the use of all this might being purchased....I can taste it.

Very sad.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Israel hits Iran in a month or so... there could be real economic turmoil and rioting here in the States as the world markets go wild. Israel is sure beating the war drum loudly this last week.. just yesterday it projected that a war with Iran would be very bloody and last about 1 month. Israeli citizens are getting gas masks in record numbers right now. They are also concerned that if Syrian President Bashar Assad believes he will be toppled from power or killed, that he will attack Israel with chemical & biological weapons. Which Israel has pledged to retaliate with a Nuke on Damascus.

Some military wonks predict that Israel will go just before the November election... when the weather is at its best for them in that part of the world.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reddog1
So when does the tin foil hat BS go away? When they start hoarding us into camps? No, most ppl will claim tinfoil until one of those .40sw rounds tears and shreds through their vital organs.

I sense a gigantic false flag attack on the horizon that would facilitate the use of all this might being purchased....I can taste it.

Very sad.

^this +1
Luckily we have several beautiful newly renovated WWII internment camps here in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom