Spotting Scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never owned a spotting scope. I have looked through them, a little, but not enough to fully understand or appreciate some differences. I see they have angled one and straight ones - I wonder, why would I want one over the other?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, the straight ones are just easier to look through and find the target. If you're sitting at a bench, you'll probably have to stand up to look through the angled eyepieces. It's not a big deal though, either one will work.

I would caution not to try to cheap out on one. The under $100 Walmart models are nearly worthless. If you're shooting at 100 yards, there are some in the $150 ish range that will probably be good enough for you. If you're shooting further than that, they might not be good enough.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gadsden is spot on(pun intended). The angled provides better eye relief than a straight plus it's easy to sit down or stand up and use. IF you're going to be using a spotting scope hours on end, I think you'd appreciate the angled eye piece. IF you're just using it for the range, a straight eye piece is fine since generally you're always sitting down. I can't expect anyone doing much spotting here in OK.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its really preference as to what works best for you , I have a straight one and prefer it to the angled model . When I shot Benchrest there were shooters who liked the angled scopes as they felt it was easier to use.

More importantly is the quality. Don't buy a crap scope , a really decent spotting scope makes it very easy to see impacts , misses and everything else.

I like and own a Kowa but there are a lot of good ones out there , Konus and other budget brands won't compare well to a good quality spotting scope with good glass.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom