Spring Turkey Fever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, after getting skunked this deer season I'm itchin to get out for spring turkey. Seems ridiculous when I'm staring out at my snow packed property, but its just around the corner.

Question for you knowers-of-all-things-public-land-related:

Where are some good public land areas in Green country that I can put the stalk on some turkey? Never hunted public for turkey up here, but I'm lease-less, so I'm putting everything I've got into some good public land scouting. Anyone wanna offer some sage wisdom for general locations? Don't need your secret massacre-spot, just a WMA or something that might have some toms holed up. Thanks! :bighug:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt private ground, but have hunted public in the past.
Its tough. I did the right thing, with scouting the birds and putting them to bed each evening for a week before season.
Finally on opening day, got into a blind at 4am, 200 yds from the roost tree, made sure it was camo'd good, and waited until fly-down.
About 15 minutes before fly-down a half dozen vehicles pulled down the road, and parked. We repeatedly shined some flashlights at them to let them know we were set up, and all left but one with 4 guys in it.
They walked right past our set-up to within 75 yds of the roost tree, and when they flew down, they shot a jake. We were watching with bino's. Three mature toms kept coming toward our calls, and were almost within range when the idiots jumped out of the grass they were in and started high-fiving like they were TV idiots posing for a camera shot.
The toms flushed and our hunt was over.
This is what I found out. Public hunters on Kaw lake don't put birds to bed like you do on private land. They go out in the evening after dark, and shock call on the country roads. Come back in the morning and kill their bird, along with everybody else using that technique.
I can't say there is anything wrong with doing that, and if it works, so be it.
My problem with public hunting is the idiots that know somebody is hunting a roost and they get between you and the birds your hunting. Its all about respecting another hunter I guess....

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the fever as well... been watching these birds in the pasture behind the house for months. I'm ready to drop the hammer on one.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

TERPSTER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its tough. I did the right thing, with scouting the birds and putting them to bed each evening for a week before season.
Finally on opening day, got into a blind at 4am, 200 yds from the roost tree, made sure it was camo'd good, and waited until fly-down.
About 15 minutes before fly-down a half dozen vehicles pulled down the road, and parked. We repeatedly shined some flashlights at them to let them know we were set up, and all left but one with 4 guys in it.
They walked right past our set-up to within 75 yds of the roost tree, and when they flew down, they shot a jake. We were watching with bino's. Three mature toms kept coming toward our calls, and were almost within range when the idiots jumped out of the grass they were in and started high-fiving like they were TV idiots posing for a camera shot.
This is what I found out. Public hunters on Kaw lake don't put birds to bed like you do on private land. They go out in the evening after dark, and shock call on the country roads. Come back in the morning and kill their bird, along with everybody else using that technique.
My problem with public hunting is the idiots that know somebody is hunting a roost and they get between you and the birds your hunting. Its all about respecting another hunter I guess....

Sounds like my experience duck hunting this year. Congrats, 18 shots fired and you all crippled one of the 3 birds that flew in.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sounds like it would be time for me to get up and walk over and have some loud conversation with the jerks before the birds flew down. Might as well be friendly if they are going to be hunting close.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be time for me to get up and walk over and have some loud conversation with the jerks before the birds flew down. Might as well be friendly if they are going to be hunting close.

I know where your coming from. I was pretty angry as the guy I was with came from MI on a quest to get a grand slam on turkey, and I'd promised him a rio.

He was here for three days. He was an Eastern hunter and his technique was to set up in a ground blind and wait for the birds like one in Ok would do for a deer.
I don't know about easterns but hunting rios, that would be a bust.
On the last day, I took him to some private ground and he shot a jake.
Two days later he got a Merriam in NM.
That completed his grand slam, so It worked out for him.
Burnt me out for public hunting for Turkey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom