state dept new gun rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david wilson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am new at this thought some of you may know about this. i applied for my ffl as a manufacter and was sold a license by the BATF for 150.00 they were easy to work with but then told me i neede to register with the State Dept. i was then told by the State Dept that they wanted 2250.00 to register with them so i am out of business before i got started. Has anybody else run into this mess?

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked my interviewing ATF agent this same question about ITAR and he told me technically YES you have to register and pay. He also told me that's the DOJs' baby and that the ATF didn't care either way. I was thinking I read somewhere that if you manufacture any type of gun accessory you had to register with them.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked my interviewing ATF agent this same question about ITAR and he told me technically YES you have to register and pay. He also told me that's the DOJs' baby and that the ATF didn't care either way. I was thinking I read somewhere that if you manufacture any type of gun accessory you had to register with them.

You are correct. ATF does not care because they do not administer the program (the state department does), but I have read that they are starting to push it due to pressure from the state department (you know Obama loves more taxes/fees coming in to the gov). I would hate to end up having to retroactively pay a few years worth of these fees if you didn't register.

If you make anything on the United States Munitions List, you are supposed to register. Does not matter whether you export or not. You can apply for an exemption if you are doing strictly R&D type manufacturing, but if you are making to sell, you are out of luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom