Staying in Texas a few weeks with some ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin98SS1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my CCW. I will NOT have it by next month when I will be in Arlington, TX for 2 weeks. So my question is this:

Can I take a pistol with me? Could I drive to Texas with it unloaded. I will be staying in a hotel while I'm in a class down there. Say some crazy guy busts into my room and I shoot him? Would I need to contact the local PD and tell them I have it or just leave the gun at home? I've tried to search but havent really found anything about traveling with a gun without a permit.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More notes:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.010.00.000046.00.htm

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

So if you are in a vehicle, the weapon is concealed, and you are otherwise not prohibited from possessing a firearm (i.e. felon or adjudicated mentally ill), you are good to go.

SD4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you are in a vehicle, the weapon is concealed, and you are otherwise not prohibited from possessing a firearm (i.e. felon or adjudicated mentally ill), you are good to go.

That is correct. There used to be a lot of ambiguity with the travel law, but it has since been cleared up. You are permitted to carry it loaded and concealed while in your vehicle. You are also permitted to have it with you in the hotel. The castle doctrine is in place in Texas, so using a firearm for self defense should not be a problem, even in your hotel room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom