Steel case ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the problems with steel cased ammo and the AR.

1. The steel cases don't expand to create a good seal, letting the gas to escape into the chamber (Steel cased ammo is much ddirtier also) Each time a cartridge is fired you get more residue build up in the chamber. Each chambered case packs the residue tighter until you get s stuck case from getting wedged in the residue. Combloc calibers have the same problem but because the case has tapered walls its easier for the extractor to pull the case out. AKs and SKSs you don't even notice it.
2. Steel cases are bad for cheap extractors. As the extractor heats up, the steel case wears the extractor out.
3. Bi-metal bullets that always accompany steel cases are just bad for barrels, Any barrel. Better made barrels wear better but will still have a shorter life that barrels shooting only copper jacketed rounds

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot it in both rifle and pistol. And reloaded some just to see if I could.

It burns dirty. Never had any problems with the rifles, but some of the 9mm I've shot has been underpowered.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My RR functions fine with steel but the accuracy is out the window. Cheap Remington bulk brass will shoot MOA.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the problems with steel cased ammo and the AR.

1. The steel cases don't expand to create a good seal, letting the gas to escape into the chamber (Steel cased ammo is much ddirtier also) Each time a cartridge is fired you get more residue build up in the chamber. Each chambered case packs the residue tighter until you get s stuck case from getting wedged in the residue. Combloc calibers have the same problem but because the case has tapered walls its easier for the extractor to pull the case out. AKs and SKSs you don't even notice it.
2. Steel cases are bad for cheap extractors. As the extractor heats up, the steel case wears the extractor out.
3. Bi-metal bullets that always accompany steel cases are just bad for barrels, Any barrel. Better made barrels wear better but will still have a shorter life that barrels shooting only copper jacketed rounds
There is a good utube video that backs this up. 1000 round test of that steel case commie ammo in an AR and the rifling was all but shot out.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do too but would like to shoot a little more often
I buy Tulammo by the case and rock my ARs frequently, still shoot well and all my fingers and toes are still attached where they should be. No melted barrels yet, triggers still work and the BCGs are still good. Rifling is intact and clear. It it the best? Nope. will it work? Yep. I am not afraid of steel cases, if I could afford high dollar ammo, I would still shoot steel cases, just buy more of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom