Stevens 86d refinished

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got this 1956 Stevens 86d and it needed help. A previous owner had removed the original finish and did a poor job of changing the color. It had what I refer to as a 6 foot finish. It looks ok as long as you are 6 ft away. Any closer and it looks like crap.

I stripped, sanded, stained, and painted the black tip back on the forend (I found the outline when I stripped the stock) Applied 5 coats of low gloss Tung oil varnish and finished with a light buffing. Also repainted the trigger guard and fixed the wobbly trigger with a thin shim. I added the sling using the stud hole that was already in the buttstock and filled the hole in the forend (nicely hidden under the paint) and added the magazine mount. Oh, and I got rid of someone's homemade attempt at a white buttplate spacer.

What do you all think. Did I do right by trying to restore it's heratige?

i.imgur.com_rXYIAwn.jpg

For comparison here is the before pic.

i.imgur.com_amy0AcL.jpg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is that it was his rifle to begin with. I bought it from him at a point when he needed the cash. He was thrilled not only to get it back but was astounded at the condition I returned it in. (He didn't know I had refinished it.) Of course I did tell him if he ever does sell it again that I get first chance at it. :hey3:

I have several more rifles in the works. The current project is the 1951 Western Field 87-SB87-TA. And yes, it's a gill gun.

This one is in pretty bad shape cosmetically but functions fine. It has light rust, a few areas of heavy pitting and the stock is beat to hell. Should be fun. Lol

Here is a preview of what I'm in for..

i.imgur.com_zgmByIP.jpg

i.imgur.com_hghiVp5.jpg

i.imgur.com_Vqi0flB.jpg

i.imgur.com_x8XIq2H.jpg

i.imgur.com_F8X6IGa.jpg

i.imgur.com_LnCdPDT.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom