Still messin' with the Mosin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple threads on here about this 1930 Izzy Hex, and my trials and tribulations with it.
For those that care, or want to get caught up -
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/messin-with-the-mosin.258322/
and
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/more-messin-with-the-mosin.259319/

I was doing okay at the OKCGC Military matches; not setting the place on fire, but at least not last place (Thanks again, Darrin !).
I slugged the bore at .315", and started shooting cast sized to .316". The rifle will not chamber anything with a neck dimension fatter than .338", and I was having trouble chambering certain brands of brass - Winchester specifically. I decided to try outside turning the necks to .010" (.010 + .010 + .316 = .336" leaves me .002" for neck expansion). As soon as I did that, I started getting fliers.
Crazy fliers. Like this - Look up at the very top of the target. The shot barely clipped the paper, from 75 yds.
28.5grIMR4895, 1.0Gr Dacron,Aug'18 (Small).jpeg

I don't know what is going on. According to the chrono numbers, this should shoot lights out -
Vel 1781 fps
Spread 21 fps
StdDev 8.8 fps.
See that ? Single digit deviations, very consistent numbers.
Maybe it's lube purge fliers ? Maybe the check is flying of, now that there is room in the neck for it to do so ?

On a whim, I decided to try another load. Straight from Lyman cast #3, 21.5gr 4198.
21.5gr 4198,Aug'18 (Small).jpeg

5 shots, at least no fliers. Numbers look very goos -
Vel 1670 fps
Spread 11 fps
StdDev 5.5 fps

Are you kidding me ? 5.5 fps deviation ? The group isn't that good, but then I'm not a very good shot either.

tried another load, 22.5gr 4198
22.5gr 4198,Aug'18 (Small).jpeg

The numbers are still good, not as great as the 21.5gr load, but still -
Vel 1729 fps
Spread 24 fps
StdDev 9.15 fps

I may be on to something here....

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still working with the IMR4198 loads. I took some loads with me Wednesday, to OKCGC. I figured that if I was going to shoot at 100yds in the match, I need to test at 100 yds.

I took 10 rounds each, of 23.0, 23.5, 24.0 gr IMR4198. Still using the NOE 316-203-RN. This is a copy of the 312299/314299, and NOE has since re-numbered their molds.
It's now a 316-213-RN, or something like that.

On to the results. The 23.0 and 24.0 was nothing special - good, but the 23.5 was best.
23.5gr IMR4198 19Sep18 (Small).jpeg

10 rounds at 100 yds, iron sights.

I know what I'm bringing to the next match. Better go load some....

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I foolishly bought two cases of those Russian salt loads and they say pour boiling water into the barrel after shooting (one method) but that sounds a bit harsh on the gun. I've seen people in shows shoot Elk and other big game with a Mosin at long range no scope.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I foolishly bought two cases of those Russian salt loads and they say pour boiling water into the barrel after shooting (one method) but that sounds a bit harsh on the gun. I've seen people in shows shoot Elk and other big game with a Mosin at long range no scope.
Ammonia will neutralize the corrosive primer residue. Windex on a patch will hold you over until you can get to the house for a good cleaning.
Some might be surprised what an old Mosin with a decent barrel can do out to 300 yards or better

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You will hear a lot of different methods to clean after shooting (boiling water, windex......). When I first started shooting I used windex, then Hopps (the cheap dollar store version of windex) but after talking with a few other people I started just using Hopps and have had no issues.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never much worried about the corrosive primers, especially in this Mosin. The bore already looks like a sewer pipe; dark and pitted. I just shot it, and cleaned it.
Mostly I used Hoppes, but I've also tried Ballistol.

Now that I've gone to cast only in this rifle, I don't clean the bore at all, if I can help it.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a ball at the Oct 6th match. Attendance was fairly light, but, what with the OU/Texas game and rain, i suppose it's to be expected.

My new load worked well. I'm not setting the world on fire, but I'm getting better. Best group was the warm-up group, of course it doesn't count.
6Oct18 (Small).jpg

That lower right shot, in the 7-ring, was the only shot out of 60 that didn't hit the black. Once I got the sights set a bit better, I did okay
Group 1 - 3.88"
Group 2 - 3.58"
Score 1 - 92-2
Score 2 - 94-2
Score 3 - 92-3
Aggregate 278-7

I'm getting under 4 MOA with an 88 year-old battle rifle, that was never known for accuracy. I did notice that I'm the only idiot out there shooting a 91-30 Mosin (at least this week), and I'm certain that I'm handicapped by the equipment I'm using. C'est la vie. It's what I have, so it's what I shoot.

I'm fairly certain I can get this down to ~2 MOA, much of my problem is me. Trigger control is my biggest problem, breathing is my next.

I'm really enjoying these matches. I'm probably never going to win, but as long as I shoot to the best of my ability, I'm happy. I need to practice more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom