Stock making

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okey hunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on making a stock for a 30-06 and was wondering would maple be strong enough to handle the recoil with out splintering this will be my first one to do and if it turns out pretty I'll be making another one for my 17 hmr

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once asked a cabinetmaker this question because I had visions of a rifle stock made out of curly maple - wouldn't that be gorgeous?? His answer was that maple splits more readily along the grain when subjected to shock, and the wood, being hard and dense, also wears down wood shop tools more readily than walnut. They did use maple centuries ago for flintlock rifles and muskets, but I imagine the shock of firing one of those isn't as sharp and "peaky" as that of a modern centerfield cartridge rifle.

okey hunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
my dads 50. cal muzzle loader does, me and my friend maid him a electric guitar out of curly maple and I remember how good it turned out, I guess I'll cut down a hedge apple tree and cut a blank from it and make a ball headed war club with the ball root since I'm there

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're going to do something like soaking it in wood hardener to help with the shock and splintering, please please please do it AFTER you've already formed the stock cause it'll eat up sanding belts like they're candy.

Yes, that's the voice of experience talking...

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are two kinds of maple hard and soft. I do not know if the figured maples, curly, tiger, or birdseye can be the hard maple variety. Typically hard maple is more expensive than soft maple, and figured maple is 3-4X the price of hard maple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom