Strange question on a Springfield 87A.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old Springfield 87A with a badly cracked stock. I was wondering if anyone knows if a stock for an 87J would fit it? I know the safety location is different on the two models with the A being on the side and the J top rear but think I can work around that.

I can get an unfinished walnut stock for the 87A but they are very plain. For an 87J I can get a Monte Carlo checkered walnut stock for about the same money.

The reason for so much work and expense on an old 22? It is more accurate then any non-target 22 I have ever fired, and a few target models to boot. I know years ago when I was in practice myself and all my friends could out shoot any of the 22s any of us owned with he old 87A.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what I think too. I will know in about a week when the new stock gets here. Only problem area should be where the top rear mounted safeties are on the newer models and I can fill that in with some contrasting glass bedding.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new stock came in today and while not a drop in fit, it is easily do-able. I have to move the mounting screw hole back about an inch, fill in behind the action a little, and a little final inletting.

The new stock looks good and should really dress up the old 87A. Almost makes me wish I had spent 10 extra bucks and bought the rosewood stock. :D

Shootum

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got an 87A and love it, I really like the fact that you can lock the bolt for single shots. How about sharing where you picked up the new stock I need a weekend project and a new stock project would be fun.

Show it off with a photo.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stock came from Gun Parts and is for the 87J so it does take some fitting. They are redoing their site but here is the link to the 87J. I found the stocks on page 8.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=859

Here are a few before pics just to get you started. It actually looks a lot better in the pics then in person.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now some of a work in progress. You can really see the rust in these pics, even more then in person. I will have to look at a refinishing job next. :D

First two pics show the new stock pretty well and I really like that it adds about 1/4 inch to the length of pull. Third pic shows it partly inletted and where I will have to fill in behind the action because of the different safety styles. I am going with a glass bedding and thinking that if I can find some small stainless letters I may set my initials into it. I do not plan on selling so why not personalize it a bit.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two very small problems I have run into if you decide to try this.

1) The stock is not as deep as the old 87A stock so the action screw is a hair to long. Not a real problem as I will just shorten it a bit.

2) Because of the stock not being as deep, the trigger is also to long. Again a little shortening will do the trick without hurting anything.

I will post any other problems I run into as I hit them and will post some pics when the stock is complete.

Shootum

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info RickN, the stock looks like an improvement over the old. Have you ever run across a T mount for a scope, open sights don't work well for me anymore and your right they are pretty dang accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom