String Ducking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been stalking this 12 point for good 3 months now - know all his moves and routes.

Today at 8:00 a bachelor group of 5 went by me at about 40 yards, and then at 8:20 I got lucky and the 12 pointer came about 20 yards from my hiding spot. I drew when he went behind the tree, aimed at the heart, let go and ... the deer drop on its belly! and the arrow goes through his HAIR ON HIS BACK, he jumps sideways, then jets 10-15 yards and stops.

He couldn't have seen me, he wasn't spooked - the only thing I can think of he heard the string and dodged: quick internet search showed that it's called "String Ducking" - and I guess it was his lucky day, and he didn't get this big by being off guard.

Oh, well, taking my little brother in law tomorrow morning - see if he can duck 7mm-08 :)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jumping the string. Usually a heart shot will get you a spine if they jump but the recurve is quite a bit slower than the compounds nowadays. My brother had one at 30 yards that ducked and then stood back up before his recurve shot arrow got there and he killed it. It was his first archery deer. Maybe he will not be too spooked and you will get another chance. Hoping to see your smilin face with the buck.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it was his spidey sense..! When a hunter does that to a mature buck, IMO, they almost always go nocturnal and are never seen again. Hope you get a 2nd crack at him..!

Latest posts

Top Bottom