Study: Armed Citizens Often Thwart 'Active Shooter Events'(94% of the time)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://patriotpost.us/articles/59775-study-armed-citizens-often-thwart-active-shooter-events
Study: Armed Citizens Often Thwart 'Active Shooter Events'
Armed citizens help end or limit the damage during active shooting events 94% of the time.
Political Editors · Dec. 1, 2018

2cdb13c0ef8e2f078e5af16462be3f4c8fbb9133e7e83e4a18c3176b3121c9c5.jpg

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That headline is pretty misleading:
So, to get down to the specifics, Paulsen found that 283 events met the FBI’s active shooter classification and of those events an armed citizens was present at 33. He further explained that in those 33 cases, “armed citizens were successful at stopping the active shooter 75.8 percent of the time (25 incidents) and were successful in reducing the loss of life in an additional 18.2 percent (6) of incidents.” By Paulsen’s calculation, that means “armed citizens are successful 94 percent of the time at active shooter events.”

The headline sounds like civilians stop 94% of mass shootings, I was having a hard time buying that.
It's really 94% of the time that armed civilians are present.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That headline is pretty misleading:

The headline sounds like civilians stop 94% of mass shootings, I was having a hard time buying that.
It's really 94% of the time that armed civilians are present.
Very misleading. I also tracked down the original article; it has a "correction" at the head of the story noting that "the pie charts displayed in the graphics were not proportionally accurate and were designed more with visibility in mind as opposed to an accurate representation."

So...we used misleading headlines and misleading graphics, to the point that the commenters (who probably are pro-gun to begin with) pointed it out. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot; I wouldn't dare use this as reputable evidence.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it is misleading, however, had it been that more relaxed carry restrictions were in place at the times of those events where no one but the "shooter" had a gun and others at those events had firearms, the larger number of events may have turned out different. While it is misleading, it still leans one's thinking that more firearms in the hands of responsible firearms owners would be good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom