Super.38 and .45 in 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at Colt 1911's. Have no idea what the Super .38 cartridge is all about. Anyone got some info. Cost of rounds, Speed, Ft-Lbs, Availability, etc. How does it compare to the .45?

Thanks

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think 9mm long. It is a high-pressure improvement on the original .38 ACP, which was also a true 9mm.
Once the darling of IPSC, the 38 super is now pretty much the red-haired stepchild in competition (outlawed for major in Limited), although the cartridge shoots as well as it ever did. The few that shoot 38 Super dive for their brass like it was gold. Several people have gotten 9mm Luger barrels for their 38 Supers to reduce ammunition costs.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think 9mm long. It is a high-pressure improvement on the original .38 ACP, which was also a true 9mm.
Once the darling of IPSC, the 38 super is now pretty much the red-haired stepchild in competition (outlawed for major in Limited), although the cartridge shoots as well as it ever did. The few that shoot 38 Super dive for their brass like it was gold. Several people have gotten 9mm Luger barrels for their 38 Supers to reduce ammunition costs.

Good Info....Thanks....Wonder why COLT still caters to the round?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Really? I didn't know it was outlawed in IPSC.

You're right about the brass though.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? I didn't know it was outlawed in IPSC.

Outlawed for MAJOR POWER in LIMITED. :goodmorning:

It can be used for major in OPEN and minor in anything you want.

Since 9mm Luger makes minor and is the cheapest ammo around, the popullarity of 38 Super dropped way off after the rule change killed the 38 Super major in limited.

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus 1911 in 38 Super, fun to shoot, cost of ammo not that much more then others, just hard to find sometimes. Wal Mart does not carry it, can always find it at gun shops in Tulsa or online..

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently aquired a colt lightweight commander in 38 super and I really like it. The ammo is really not a problem. I was at the gun show in OKC today and there was a lot of it around,although it was all jacketed round nose. I reload so I will cook up my own defense rounds.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many open gun USPSA shooters still use 38 Super. I do see the newer shooters opting for 9mm Major in open guns although I fear that combination. I do use 38 Super with mild loads in 2 different revolvers a 6 shot S&W 686 and an 8 shot S&W 627.

Latest posts

Top Bottom