Swampratt ....I think you met your match here...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That is just sick. I don’t understand how some people can eat stuff like that. You could put a turd on a plate and some would eat it.
Pretty sure the folks who chose to go over Donner pass thought the same thing about cannibalism before getting snowed in . Thinking it was not a well fed man that decided "Hey lets fry a grasshopper and see how that tastes". Hungry/poor folk do not let any part of the beast go to waste. Just happy that I live in a time where I can choose to skip the cow feets ............. :cool:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure the folks who chose to go over Donner pass thought the same thing about cannibalism before getting snowed in . Thinking it was not a well fed man that decided "Hey lets fry a grasshopper and see how that tastes". Hungry/poor folk do not let any part of the beast go to waste. Just happy that I live in a time where I can choose to skip the cow feets ............. :cool:
Before the Civil War, pork was what was for dinner...and breakfast...and just about everything else in these United States--they said Americans used everything from the pig but the squeal. I, too, an happy to live in a time when when we can leave the trotters for others, although I did see a package of chicken feets in the meat section of a Walmart a couple of years ago. Thanks, but no thanks.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before the Civil War, pork was what was for dinner...and breakfast...and just about everything else in these United States--they said Americans used everything from the pig but the squeal. I, too, an happy to live in a time when when we can leave the trotters for others, although I did see a package of chicken feets in the meat section of a Walmart a couple of years ago. Thanks, but no thanks.
When I was a kid, chicken feet, pig's feet and pork brains were standard fare in the refrigerated meat section of grocery stores.

I don't remember Mom serving any of those, but I do remember Dad saying that he'd eaten scrambled eggs & pork brains. Apparently, squirrel brains were also a common item back then.

Don't really feel like I missed anything... :D
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking it was not a well fed man that decided "Hey lets fry a grasshopper and see how that tastes".
Wife and I had fried crickets in Progresso Mexico last month. Street vendor was cooking and selling them. We thought what the hell and tried some. They put some seasoning that was a mix of chili's and lime on them and they were actually pretty tasty. Had a nice crunch to them fresh out of the fryer.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wonder how many humans had to die or get deathly sick to figure out which pieces / parts of all God's critters and plant life we could and couldn't eat? Just think about it for a few minutes. Some other human had to be there to witness the death and remember not to eat that part. Some plants are poisonous raw but OK cooked, some are vice versa. I'm sorry but if it stinks, I'm not eating it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder how many humans had to die or get deathly sick to figure out which pieces / parts of all God's critters and plant life we could and couldn't eat? Just think about it for a few minutes. Some other human had to be there to witness the death and remember not to eat that part. Some plants are poisonous raw but OK cooked, some are vice versa. I'm sorry but if it stinks, I'm not eating it.
Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous.
I've often pondered on what you just said about who tried what to eat.
Animals know instinctively. You can take a dog to the beach and it won't drink seawater but will drink from the bowl a few feet away of fresh water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom