Swampratt ....I think you met your match here...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tomatoes are in the nightshade family, so that's not as strange as it sounds. It does make you wonder how people figured out that this plant is ok to eat, but this plant that looks a lot like it will kill you...
And they ate them off lead plates. Pewter had lead in it back in the day. Throw in acid from tomatoes and you had a nice way to get lead poisoning.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL - cow feet, pig feet - both are rich in gelatin. Know where Jell-O comes from?

Know why a bowl of beans cooked with a real ham hock is so much better than beans with just cubed up ham pieces? Gelatin and marrow.

Ain't a thing wrong with any of it, and if you don't cook with it, you're missing out.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL - cow feet, pig feet - both are rich in gelatin. Know where Jell-O comes from?

Know why a bowl of beans cooked with a real ham hock is so much better than beans with just cubed up ham pieces? Gelatin and marrow.

Ain't a thing wrong with any of it, and if you don't cook with it, you're missing out.
There's a difference between cookin' with it, and havin' it as the main course... :D

I've been kinda leery of brains ever since the mad cow thing a few years ago.
:drunk2:

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I have read about tomatoes years ago is people thought they were poisonous. Plantation owners here grew them as an ornamental in flower gardens. They started noticing that the tomatoes were coming up missing as the slaves were filching and eating them. That is how they found out that they were good to eat.

I somehow just can't buy into this story fully as the precursor of today's pizza was a simple Roman dish that had bread, sauce and whole basil leaves and preceded anything in this country by thousands of years.

That's the problem about history, you get to here it from the guy who is telling it. That's why I like math. It can't lie.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed right away how the guy was cleaning those legs and drawing the sharp knife towards his other hand every time. lol Wonder how many times hes cut himself bad but didnt learn.
Guess he didnt get his totin chip badge in boy scouts

Latest posts

Top Bottom