The Day of the Triffids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else remember this old classic? The original not the remake. It and a lot of other classic old horror flix are on the Roku channel. From Godzilla to The House That Dripped Blood and a lot of others. I know what I will be watching next crappy weather day.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else remember this old classic? The original not the remake. It and a lot of other classic old horror flix are on the Roku channel. From Godzilla to The House That Dripped Blood and a lot of others. I know what I will be watching next crappy weather day.
Didn't know there was a remake. Good flick.
Check out "It Conquered the World" - Lee Van Cleef, Peter Graves, and the lovely Beverly Garland.
I swear movies from 1920-1960 were more fun than anything these days.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Day of the Triffids (1962) - Great classic Sci-Fi
The Day of the Triffids (1981 BBC's 6-part TV mini-series) - A good version. Good visuals.
The Day of the Triffids (2009 2-Part mini-series) - Yuck!!!

1708528707351.jpeg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The Day of the Triffids" was a great movie. Lite on gore, however still not hokey. I do think it was derivative though, it took elements from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," (The concept of plants or biomatter from outer space falling to earth) and "War of the Worlds," (the solution was here all the time, In "War of the Worlds" it was bacteria and microbes,) and even the classic "The Thing," (animated plants.) One movie they really need to revive that should be shown again would be "Colossus, the Forbin Project," the idea of AI enslaving mankind is not as far fetched as when the movie came out. Another movie that deals with AI is "Demon Seed," well worth the the watch in todays AI world.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That movie haunts me still today. I would have been 10 when I paid my 50 cents to see it at the theater

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The Day of the Triffids" was a great movie. Lite on gore, however still not hokey. I do think it was derivative though, it took elements from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," (The concept of plants or biomatter from outer space falling to earth) and "War of the Worlds," (the solution was here all the time, In "War of the Worlds" it was bacteria and microbes,) and even the classic "The Thing," (animated plants.) One movie they really need to revive that should be shown again would be "Colossus, the Forbin Project," the idea of AI enslaving mankind is not as far fetched as when the movie came out. Another movie that deals with AI is "Demon Seed," well worth the the watch in todays AI world.
I think most movies back then stole from each other. In fact the only horror movies I can think of off hand that seemed pretty original were the first Godzilla and Invisible Invaders. True there were a lot of other alien invasion movies but none with them taking over the dead or being invisible. I also like how the heros took shelter in an old Atlas silo.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read the book before I saw the movie as a kid,,,
Within weeks after seeing the movie,,,
We went to Kansas for a trip.

One of the things we did was tour one of those HUGE sunflower fields,,,
Mom and Pop had to drag me kicking and screaming into it,,,
I was only 9 years old and just knew I was gonna die.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom