Pipe relining

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey
I own a house built in 66 and have the original main line running to the Yukon sewer system. I had a tree in the back yard until about 5 years ago and the root system did a job on the old orangeburg pipe. My plumber that I've known since 1995 has told me that he could reline the pipe for much less than cutting my concrete slab. Has anyone else used this method of pipe repair? Ive read a lot on the internet about it, some like it some dont.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's putting a rubber on a problem, but honestly by the time it's a problem it'll probably be someone else's problem. I'd do it.

If you're under 50 I'd mark where the problem is, rent a saw and baby excavator from homo depot and get after it. Once you get the dirt out of the way it's an easy job. You just cut out about 6' of slab over the leak, dig down to the problem, cut it out, and put a couple of ferncos on the repair. I'd use collared ferncos (metal covers) so they don't have a chance of collapsing.
Then fill it back in and put a few bags of concrete on top. Afterward you can sit on that slab and drink a beer with your buddies and say, "You see that? I did that.!" Also point it out to the wife every time she walks outside. Women love when you remind them how manly you are.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go down to the farm store and get some copper sulfate. pit about a cup in the toitlet and flush. after about a week have your plumber run a root saw down the line and see if you still need anything more.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go down to the farm store and get some copper sulfate. pit about a cup in the toitlet and flush. after about a week have your plumber run a root saw down the line and see if you still need anything more.
I figured that it was leaking or collapsed. If you just have slow drainage then this will fix you up.
Did he run a camera down there?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stuff under the slab should be cast iron and connects to orangeberg under the stemwall.
The stuff in the yard will be orangeberg and needs dug up and replaced with pvc. I have heard they can bore the old pipe and run a new line like the utility company but its real expensive. Choose your plumber wisely. Some companies charge hundreds to run camera. others include it with the drain cleaning service. It started as a way to bilk you out of a few extra hundreds, but now it's becoming the norm.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stuff under the slab should be cast iron and connects to orangeberg under the stemwall.
The stuff in the yard will be orangeberg and needs dug up and replaced with pvc. I have heard they can bore the old pipe and run a new line like the utility company but its real expensive. Choose your plumber wisely. Some companies charge hundreds to run camera. others include it with the drain cleaning service. It started as a way to bilk you out of a few extra hundreds, but now it's becoming the norm.

This is exactly how our 1965 house was in CA. We had tree roots from various trees creep into the joints of each section of the red clay pipe going from the edge of the house to the street sewer connection. I dug down at edge of house to find it's transition then use our mini excavator to dig it out to the street connection. Actually right at the curb. Took out the clay pipe and leveled the trench with proper slope. Plumber came in next day and ran new black ABS pipe. Worked like a charm. Still had the old cast iron under the slab. Would have to have a plumber come out 1-2 times per year to clean out the cast iron part. Told me its a common problem with our age homes and the best course of action is to keep paying the plumber to do a clean out once a year until the pipe fails altogether (typically it collapses). At that point it can cost a bunch to replace so do it when you finally have to. I took his advice and sold the house prior to to having to replace. And yes, the buyers had their own plumbing inspection.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replace the entire line. No future headaches.
This. ^^^^^ orangeburg is like a laminated fiberglass pipe. It starts to delaminate and separate the layers just before collapsing completely. Most of it underground will no longer be round, it will be oval. Running a saw or removing the roots will only delay the complete replacement and cost more money for the "fix".
I fought that battle of orangeburg for about 4 years, before finally sucking it up and replacing the line. I got my information by looking at the line I dug up, The 3" line from the utility room to the main was delaminated and oval in shape with parts of it only 1/2" away from a complete collapse.
The OP's issue will never get better, only get worse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom