The fallacy of 'Behind every blade of grass' thinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on who is the aggressor. If it is Americans vs. American soldiers, I think you see the armed forces ranked quickly depleting and the civilian ranks growing in experience, weaponry and tactics. I don't think many American soldiers would be too willing to fire upon their own. Maybe in the start, but not for long.

If it were say China, then we would still have better armament, as the US armed forces would be there fighting along side the civies. Besides, you take a few armored tank groups with some claymores in the tress and you can grab all the RPGs and Ak47s you need. Oh, wait, that was Red Dawn. Wolverines! Hell, they did it with a hand full of bolt actions, a couple bows and grandaddy's pistol.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the S really hit the F, unless the internet was completely shut down beforehand, I think you good ol' homemade C4 recipes would be the top search on Google. And just about every American boy born in the 70s knows how to make napalm. I don't care how much ammo you have in that mini gun, you hit the tripwire on a bucket of napalm and you are toast. greasy, burnt toast. There are enough rednecks in this country that tried stupid stuff in their youth that we could make a damn good showing against any army. Guerrilla tactics are the bane of any organized military. You think a sticky bomb wouldn't still work? SUre they have nightvision, so does have the walmarts and sporting goods store in the country, it may not be as good, but it levels the playing field. Obviously, this is a ground combat scenario, we wouldn't stand a chance against Aerial attacks. Gotta get 'em on the ground.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the S really hit the F, unless the internet was completely shut down beforehand, I think you good ol' homemade C4 recipes would be the top search on Google. And just about every American boy born in the 70s knows how to make napalm. I don't care how much ammo you have in that mini gun, you hit the tripwire on a bucket of napalm and you are toast. greasy, burnt toast. There are enough rednecks in this country that tried stupid stuff in their youth that we could make a damn good showing against any army. Guerrilla tactics are the bane of any organized military. You think a sticky bomb wouldn't still work? SUre they have nightvision, so does have the walmarts and sporting goods store in the country, it may not be as good, but it levels the playing field. Obviously, this is a ground combat scenario, we wouldn't stand a chance against Aerial attacks. Gotta get 'em on the ground.

It's only fair to consider if it is SHTF time the net will be gone,(along with power) and anything good at Wallyworld will be trampled by the crowds trying to get shoes, cigs, and beer.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One word: Switzerland. There are MORE than enough vets out there with plenty of firepower to give any invader with half a brain pause.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One word: Switzerland. There are MORE than enough vets out there with plenty of firepower to give any invader with half a brain pause.

I don't know about this one... I think Swiss resilience has more to do with economic abdication, ambiguous foreign policy, and lack of tactical significance than ability to defend.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that all those guns and bullets amount to much. What do you think?

I think superpower warfare is economy vs economy now. I suppose there'll always be some kind of conventional battle(s) going on somewhere, but I doubt we'll ever find ourselves engaged in a boots-on-the-ground war with China or Russia, the only two other superpowers. Russia is too weak and I'm pretty sure the Chinese powers that be take the long view. All China needs to do is continue with the same and well before the turn of the next century they'll have us in their back pocket. They nearly have us there already.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing is how many joe blow hunters know and understand guerilla warfare and modern ground troop tactics and how to counter one with the other? Simply many untrained chairforce comanders and i'll lead the way.
Time will tell.

I think time HAS told. How many peasants in untold numbers of countries have effectively fought insurgencies against better organized, supplied, and funded occupying forces? MANY, MANY. SE Asia....Africa....Central and South America....pretty much everywhere in the world except North America and western Europe.

And I bet most of those peasant fighters were less educated than the "average firearms owner American citizens" that would make up the guerilla militia fighting an American insurgency against a foreign invader.

That's the kind of thing that is learned relatively quickly by the occupied. The tactics book for guerilla warfare depends highly on who is being fought, and what tactics and equipment they have, and especially what the rules and objectives of that occupying force are.

Latest posts

Top Bottom