The Most Trusted Name in News...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Social media hasn't really helped much either . . . it's all about the likes and ability a person has to "influence" others.

I wish I could've figured out how to make money using it. :)

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 24 hour news is absolutely correct as the start of fake news.

The fake news for me was birthed when CNN became a 24 hour news channel. There was not enough news to fill up the 24 hours so they figured out opinions were OK to put out there with point counterpoint. A mini war of words every day on different shows. When the hosts of the shows became stars instead of news anchors, they became self important and self serving. Money poured in and the beast was born. Now it is to the point where news is enhanced, spun to the left or even made up out of thin air, I trust nothing that comes from the Communist News Network. The new York Crimes and Washington Compost are as bad or worse.

Take the example of Hunter Biden's emails.
Absolutely! On an average day there is 5 minutes of actual local news (including the forecast) and maybe 10 minutes of national news. To fill the rest requires massive amounts of "human interest " stories, opinion (aka editorials), and flat out fiction to fill the 24 hour news!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember, CNN has proclaimed itself as the "most trusted name in news"...

I recall us using CNN as a source of information in Desert Storm back in 1991...we felt we could pretty much rely on them to actually report the news, and not just make it up. I'm not sure what happened to journalistic integrity, and when the dramatic shift away from that began, but today, one has to take the news from pretty much any site or source with a grain of salt. It seems that ratings are more important than honesty.

Remember guys like Walther Cronkite? I'm sure we have a lot of members here who are too young to remember him, and some may not have even heard of him. But when he told us about something happening in the world, you could count it being reported on fairly and accurately. Compare old school honest journalists like him to the "reporters" we hear today and there's really just no comparison. I never thought I'd see a journalist act like Keith Olberman recently did. https://www.foxnews.com/media/keith-olbermann-amy-coney-barrett-trump-prosecuted-removed-society

So what happened? Is it really as simple as working for the ratings (or the money)?

Something you might want to consider here @druryj look at his you tube and look at the comments...... they love it not a single person calling his crazy as$ out , look at the comments section in YouTube

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this is fairly recent, the New York Times seemed to be the bellwether of the news cycle. What the NYT reported on was followed by the major networks, both broadcast and cable. Now, it seems that the NYT gets most of its news from Twitter, so they really can't claim to be the "paper of record." Thus, social media seems to be driving the news as well as their agenda. Credibility is gone.

At one time in my early years, I went to college with the thought of becoming a journalist. Sadly (well maybe not), "party" seemed to be the major I pursued instead of journalism. I like to think that it was fortunate that it happened. Had I become a journalist, I might have had to consider suicide long ago.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While this is fairly recent, the New York Times seemed to be the bellwether of the news cycle. What the NYT reported on was followed by the major networks, both broadcast and cable. Now, it seems that the NYT gets most of its news from Twitter, so they really can't claim to be the "paper of record." Thus, social media seems to be driving the news as well as their agenda. Credibility is gone.

At one time in my early years, I went to college with the thought of becoming a journalist. Sadly (well maybe not), "party" seemed to be the major I pursued instead of journalism. I like to think that it was fortunate that it happened. Had I become a journalist, I might have had to consider suicide long ago.
Bill O'Reilly pointed that out some time ago when he was still on Fox. The MSM does follow the NYT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom