There goes the neighborhood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greytdanehouse

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Finally escaped Calirado and closed on my house in Crawford last week. What can I do about the sand burrs. Is burning them out the best bet?

Edit - Thanks for all the great advice. Didn't have a chunk fo carpet, but I did find a ratty old sleeping bag that's picking them up nicely. Will try the MSMA and then burn.

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a house that had them pretty bad. We sprayed Roundup all over the place. Scorched earth. Killed everything for the season that popped up with another round. After that they were gone except for a few interlopers around the edges from the neighbor's property. Re-seeded the following spring with grass.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7ybni0.jpg

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mow sandburrs really short, drag a piece of carpet upside down around to yard to grab loose burrs, if you hate chemicals like roundup, spot spray a 50/50mix of vinegar and bleach mixed with some salt directly on root clumps exposed by mowing short.
Dragging the carpet really does a good job, nuke it with fire when loaded and repeat with a clean piece of carpet
Put slime in your riding lawnmower tires, damn sandburrs and goatheads

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Option #1,Can spray them with roundup and a pre emergent. Option #2, Mow short and drag carpet as stated. Option #3, Or wait till hot 90 degree or hotter then spray with MSMA herbicide and pre emergent. Option #4, Fertilize the crap our of it and choke them out. This was the method I used last and it works with sufficient rain or watering. Option #5, A combination of the above for best results.

My experience with burning is they have always came back twice as bad. Just my personal experience.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have someone come in with a big scraper and take off the top 3' of dirt... Look for a "Biden/Harris" bumper sticker/yard sign and dump it in their yard.

Seriously...it's a very time-consuming and labor intensive process. I think sandburrs are harder to get rid of than goatheads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom