There goes the neighborhood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue with using MSMA is that it kills everything but bermuda grass, so if you have shaded areas with fescu, you don't want to use MSMA.
It's going to take awhile to get rid of them because the seeds from previous years will still be active and produce new plants.
Several things one can do. You can treat the lawn with pre-emergent that stops the seeds/burrs from growing, or you can spot spray the plants for what will be a couple of years.
Sand burrs thrive on sandy soils with poor lawns that need fertilized for some reason. Easy to spot when you recognize them.
When I'm running around on the mower in our yard which is sandy and prone to having sand burrs, I keep a spray bottle of Roundup on the mower to hit the individual plants.
Yeah, there were white dots of dead grass all over the place, but in a couple of years, no sand burrs.
Tough to get rid of completely where we live which is way out in the sticks, as animals moving through bring the seeds, but we have them under control.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neighbor has hay crop. He recommended Bayer Pastora.
I spray mid May. Then again July weather permitting.
This is post emergent. I believe sand burrs germinate all summer with monthly rain. It sure perks them up even when the bermuda is slow.

Stay outside tree drip line.
Residual wash in soil and overspray will kill trees. I cover my small stuff with garbage cans.

Good read.
https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/sandbur-control-in-bermudagrass-pasture.html
I get it here.
https://www.forestrydistributing.com/pastora-herbicide-bayer

Last edited:

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mow sandburrs really short, drag a piece of carpet upside down around to yard to grab loose burrs, if you hate chemicals like roundup, spot spray a 50/50mix of vinegar and bleach mixed with some salt directly on root clumps exposed by mowing short.
Dragging the carpet really does a good job, nuke it with fire when loaded and repeat with a clean piece of carpet
Put slime in your riding lawnmower tires, damn sandburrs and goatheads
We have a brick patio that I built. Weeds, and grass, come up between the bricks, and i have tried roundup, and several other herbicides. These worked ok for a few weeks, but then the grass, weeds were right back. Having worked around the oil business, I noticed were salt water was dumped on the ground decades ago, there is still nothing growing! So being the genius I am, I got a bag of rock salt, spread it all over this patio, swept it into the cracks, and wet this down! It worked better than the roundup, this stuff did come back the next spring, but kept this grass out for the whole summer!!

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want to get rid of them do nothing to them this year, next spring early work up your yard, and in May or June I promise you won’t have a single sand burr.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honestly try out a product called Pastora, it’ll kill the sand burrs and Johnston grass if you have any and it won’t hurt your Bermuda grass

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a solid patch of burrs about 3 acres. Ran a disc over 3-4 times and bought a 16' trailer load bermuda sprigs and put the boys to work. Set the discs straight (not cutting) and disc in the sprigs. Unable to water but did get yearly soil analysis from OSU. Applied exact recommendations and rates. Darn stuffs too expensive to guess at. After 5-6 years able to walk across barefoot.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big knife, cut across below crown. Roots do not re grow.

Attachments

• 20230921_184947.jpg
    20230921_184947.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230921_185217.jpg
    20230921_185217.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230921_184947.jpg
    20230921_184947.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230921_185217.jpg
    20230921_185217.jpg