Thin gun for my wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sig P238 is single action only. You rack to load and cock hammer. Trigger to release. If you have the hammer down and pull the trigger it will not cock the hammer and fire.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The P238 has an exposed hammer like a 1911 and the same action, you can rack and lower the hammer if desired, but you then have to manually pull the hammer back to cock and then fire, or re-rack and eject the chambered shell to load a new shell and cock the hammer. The safety has very positive detents on the P238, so carrying condition one for me is not a problem. I kept an eye on it for quite some time before I trusted it, I now have full confidence in it.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about a J frame? My wife had the same issue, and eventually went with the Kahr K9. It is slim, 9mm, and stainless frame helps tame the felt recoil also. I am in Tulsa, and if she wants to try out a J frame, PM9, or a K9, let me know and she can shoot ours to see if she likes it.

46and2

Oh wow, thank you so much for all the replies. I especially appreciate the offers to shoot some of your guns. I am going to ping a buddy who has an LC9 and have her try that out. She is really enjoying this, so I am definitely not going to push anything on her. I want her to find something quickly, obviously, but I am more interested in her finding HER gun instead of me "finding" it for her. I am going to talk to her today and see what direction she wants to go next.

46and2

I vote letting her pick it out. She will love it more.

Oh I'm going to do that for sure. I just needed to know what models might fit better, so we don't go to the store or range and have them hand her a USP or something. I now have a list that we can take with us and say try these out, see if any of them fit well.

For those who suggest a 1911, I am thinking a full size, correct? Everything I have read about the 3" models makes me fear about their reliability.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about a J frame? My wife had the same issue, and eventually went with the Kahr K9. It is slim, 9mm, and stainless frame helps tame the felt recoil also. I am in Tulsa, and if she wants to try out a J frame, PM9, or a K9, let me know and she can shoot ours to see if she likes it.
I'm with this. Tough to beat a J frame revolver. My wife has carpal tunnel too bad to rack a semi-auto's slide comfortably, but she can nail it with her S&W 642.

Latest posts

Top Bottom