Thinkin' about a crossbow, know nothing about them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Of course you can spend big bucks on any item, I see nothing wrong with that one for a casual shooter. You'll have your recurve limb crowd, and your compound crowd..........I see zero advantage of one over the other, for your intent, other than the compounds will be narrower. Only been around two recurves and they were louder than my compound.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend got a Horton EXP 150 off of craigslist and it shot 276 fps almost the same as my compound.
has a nice little scope and you can put all bolts in a 2" circle easily standing up shooting at 35 yards.
Cheap walmart bolts that have been shot many many times.
Almost makes me want one.
The kids and wife's shot it and hit the same spot...It is a pick it up and shoot it accurate weapon.
Longer to reload but deadly.
Some classical writers have claimed Crossbows were used in the Roman times and also by the Chinese prior to the Han Dynasty 206 B.C.-A.D.220 .
No real proof of it though and some say there is no evidence of the Crossbow before the 11th century.
You can read more of the Crossbow and other weapons of early times in 1965 gun digest.
Love old books.

Nothing new going on with the crossbow workings just new materials and new ways to string one.

Whatever you get , purchase an extra string or 2 while they are available.
Buddy has or had some old ones and no strings available.
I made a string once for one during deer camp sitting, made it from the strings inside of parachute cord.
Got him back in service.

OH yes take a spare string with you.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd give that one a try. It looks like a fine crossbow and should serve you well for many years.

I started several years ago with a used Excalibur Exomax and have killed 25-30 deer with it, and I "upgraded" to a Excalibur Matrix 380 for this season.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I see "take an extra string with you" comment on several forums when crossbows are discussed. Has anyone ever seen or hear of one breaking anymore than a mishap with a compound, longbow or recurve? I know Excalibur uses this a major sales pitch, to be able replace it in the field..............does it ever happen, and do people really own an extra string, let alone carry one with them in the field?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see "take an extra string with you" comment on several forums when crossbows are discussed. Has anyone ever seen or hear of one breaking anymore than a mishap with a compound, longbow or recurve? I know Excalibur uses this a major sales pitch, to be able replace it in the field..............does it ever happen, and do people really own an extra string, let alone carry one with them in the field?

I do have an extra string, and now I have an entire extra crossbow too. I won't go down the road to hunt without an extra rifle, but I have been driving over 500 miles to archery hunt with only one crossbow. I know it's a stretch and has never happened before, but should I break a limb or have another equipment problem, my hunt would have been over. If nothing else, it makes me feel better….:twocents:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I do have an extra string, and now I have an entire extra crossbow too. I won't go down the road to hunt without an extra rifle, but I have been driving over 500 miles to archery hunt with only one crossbow. I know it's a stretch and has never happened before, but should I break a limb or have another equipment problem, my hunt would have been over. If nothing else, it makes me feel better….:twocents:

Well if you're in a bind, there's plenty of backup weapons within 30 minutes of you. :) I can see where being the far from home, it would make sense.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We picked up a horton on a clearance from Natchez last year as a toy. We liked it so well, it was so accurate and penetration was so deep, we chose to hunt with it. Took a doe with it first shot.

We've shot it so much I've lost track of how many cycles are on it. It tuned up this year with no effort at all. We can get 2" groups at 50 yards with a little work. shots at 35 yards are like shooting a rifle. using magnum weight nocks.

I know Hortons were hit and miss right there at the end. I'm glad we got a good one. we love it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Evidently it does. We have had a couple of threads on this forum asking for help prior to or during season to find somebody with a press to restring the compound models.

I can restring my Excaliber in about 20 seconds in the field.

It's rare. Very rare but it does happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom