Thinkin' about a crossbow, know nothing about them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We took another doe with ours about a week ago. In a previous post I mentioned magnum noc's - It should have read magnum weight BOLTS.

So, magnum bolt, lighted nock, rage 3 broadhead makes for an excellent combo with our little shooter.

Really, the only down side is how unwieldy it can be to get into/out of a blind or stand.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Barnett Brotherhood M4 fro Academy afew weeks ago when they had a sale. From what research I've done it looks to be the exact crossbow as the Recruit, but an Academy only version. It came with the standard stuff cocking rope, red/green 3 dot sight, 3 headhunter bolts and field tips. The scope is tricky. I sighted it in and checked the 3 dots and the dots on mine are accurate a 15, 30 and 45 yards. That seems like quite a spread, but so far it's held accuracy. I managed to take my first archery deer last Friday with it using Rage crossbowX 100gr 2 blade heads. They did quite the job. Clean pass through and blood trail like a lawn sprinkler. I think you made a fine purchase and hope you have good luck with it.

Here is a pic of the entry from the Rage. Clean 2" incision. Exit was just behind the off side shoulder.
Rage CrossbowX entrance.jpg

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Barnett Recruit from WalMart. It had a cocking rope, arrows, and red/green dot sight included. There is definitely a learning curve with them, cocking is for the birds. I can load a cap and ball pistol faster! :) Hopefully, I'll gradually become more proficient. Anyway, after mounting the sight and expecting to hit somewhere in the next county with the first shot, turned out it was hitting about an inch to the left, and dead on vertically. 'Course that's only 10 yards. Overall, I'm happy with the bow, it sinks the arrows to the fletching in my target, and they're VERY hard to pull out, even with field tips.

I just ordered the same bow from amazon. It will get here weds. I've had two hunts(in the last two weeks) where having a crossbow would have made the difference in bagging a buck and a doe. I plan on being prepared the next time. I found that, despite being proficient at shooting targets, I have not and do not have the time to practice and build proper muscle for my compound bow. Also, both opportunities to make clean kills the deer were too close to draw on.

Post any advice and experiences you have had with your new crossbow. This is my first crossbow as well.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to ask why you guys were buying the Recruit and not the Raptor FX but it looks like the Raptor has jumped in price, I paid around $250 for mine now they go for nearly $400. Glad I bought mine when I did! It's basically the same bow as the Recruit but with stronger limbs. My wife has the Recruit, she likes it. No problems except for the little arrow holder downer deal breaking. I prefer these little short limbed crossbows, my dad has a Barnett Predator and it's so huge, heavy and wide. Not something i'd want to carry very far.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered the same bow from amazon. It will get here weds. I've had two hunts(in the last two weeks) where having a crossbow would have made the difference in bagging a buck and a doe. I plan on being prepared the next time. I found that, despite being proficient at shooting targets, I have not and do not have the time to practice and build proper muscle for my compound bow. Also, both opportunities to make clean kills the deer were too close to draw on.

Post any advice and experiences you have had with your new crossbow. This is my first crossbow as well.

Oletimer huntin time.....jump on theyre backs and ..Stab.. that arrow...deep...8)

Did you get it?

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Received my recruit. Love it. Tomorrow, I will sight the middle dot at 30-35, then catalog any variances at 15,20,25,40,45 and 50 yards from my dots.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last Saturday AM, while sitting in my tree stand, I made the mistake of reaching into my ditty bag and grabbing my Coke. Then I saw the approaching doe go on point, turn and hop off, waving bye-bye to me. I haven't shot mine a lot yet, but it is dead nuts accurate inside 20 yards.

I may actually get up early tomorrow and give another try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom