thinking of buying a used 6.0 powerstroke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 2, both had major work done, an 03 & 06, if they have money spent on them, i.e., head studs, egr delete, oil cooler, they can be good, but they are hit and miss. And for those that don't know, the motors changed for emissions reasons, not because of trouble. The scrapped the 7.3 because of emissions standards, increased the stroke in the 6.0 to 6.4 for emissions standards, then when to the 6.7, after scrapping Navistar. All 3 changed their motors, the 5.9 cummins met the first set of standards, it's didn't meet the next set, that's when Cummins went to the 6.7L.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can tell you now, you'll hear more bad than good. The web and most forums are just like watching the news, 99% of the time, you'll only hear about the negative things.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many 6.0l's have you owned FullAuto?
None. I learned from all my friend's mistakes. I did have the privilege of riding shotgun in a 2003 KR when the turbo went out hauling a 24ft enclosed to St. Louis for World Ford Challenge. It was a life experience I'd have never enjoyed if we took my truck. When I was looking to upgrade my 7.3L in 2007, I bought a '06 Cummins. I still have it. I replaced the factory brakes at 120k.

While stories like your Powerstroke are common among Cummins owners, you are in a very, very small percentage of 6.0 owners. The 6.4L was a little better but still not dependable. The 6.7L has plenty of problems to go with it, but it's something I might consider. Of course, I think it's due to be replaced in another year. Hell, even Powerstroke mechanics won't drive Powerstrokes.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.0 catastrophic failure usually starts with oil cooler, that kills the EGR cooler, and POP go the headgaskets. Upgraded oil cooler, EGR delete, ARP head studs, and they still tend to eat injectors. Also the Fuel Injection Control Modules occasionally go bad. Both coolers and head gaskets can go up to $13K if the heads are cracked

6.4 catastrophic failure usually results from trash in fuel line. Keeps the injector from closing properly, and destroys a cylinder. New motor time $18K. If you have a 6.4L and you have to replace the motor, you'll probably have to replace it again before the Ford warranty expires on the new motor, even if you have to "encourage" it. Then sell it before it's time for motor 4.

6.7 is a solid truck.

5.9L Dodge is a solid truck if you don't mind a little body/dash/everything rattle while it's parked...off. Louder when the engine is on jk.
6.7 Dodge is a solid truck if you don't crank up the horsepower.

Chevrolet builds a good truck if you like 3-point turns.

Change oil, oil filters, fuel filters on severe duty schedule. Trucks are tools. They wear and need maintenance and repair. Plan ahead. Diesel repairs are typically 3X gas motor repairs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom