This Isn’t Your Grandpa’s 30-06 ( The H.C.A.R. )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30-06 has been my go to for big game since the 80’s.
Took lots of whitetail with 165 grain Sierra hollow points, recently elk with one shot kills using solid copper bullets by Barnes.
Some say the .308 will perform the same but that’s not accurate. It will come close but will never out perform.
The difference is a hundred feet per second or so at closer ranges.
A casual look at ballistic tables will give one the facts.
Started my journey with 30-06 in 1980 buying a Remington 742 BDL. Beautiful walnut and finish.
Even with reloading I could never get below a 5” group at I00 yards.
With more research found I was not alone with that rifle’s accuracy issues.
An opportunity came along to purchase a 30-06 Browning Stainless Stalker with synthetic stock.
That has since became my elk gun for many years, suppressed now.
I keep comparing that round with others that keep popping up and it’s really difficult to find one that will out perform it at long range with a bullet designed to do that job.
Heaviet bullets retain kinetic energy that keeps them in flight longer than the ultra hi speed.
55 grain will fall out of the sky much faster than a 180 grain at longe range as an example.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30-06 has been my go to for big game since the 80’s.
Took lots of whitetail with 165 grain Sierra hollow points, recently elk with one shot kills using solid copper bullets by Barnes.
Some say the .308 will perform the same but that’s not accurate. It will come close but will never out perform.
The difference is a hundred feet per second or so at closer ranges.
A casual look at ballistic tables will give one the facts.
Started my journey with 30-06 in 1980 buying a Remington 742 BDL. Beautiful walnut and finish.
Even with reloading I could never get below a 5” group at I00 yards.
With more research found I was not alone with that rifle’s accuracy issues.
An opportunity came along to purchase a 30-06 Browning Stainless Stalker with synthetic stock.
That has since became my elk gun for many years, suppressed now.
I keep comparing that round with others that keep popping up and it’s really difficult to find one that will out perform it at long range with a bullet designed to do that job.
Heaviet bullets retain kinetic energy that keeps them in flight longer than the ultra hi speed.
55 grain will fall out of the sky much faster than a 180 grain at longe range as an example.
Don’t you get a lot of meat damage using 30-06 on whitetail?
I’ve got a Model 70 in 30-06 that I’d love to use but it seems like so much gun for 90 lb does. Even my 6.5 Grendel with 123gr SST seems a bit much, but at the ranges that I take most of mine 5.56 would probably work, usually less than 100 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom