Thoughts on Accurate #2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AA#2 is one of the faster pistol powders, I have burned lots of it, WW-231, and Bullseye. They are very similar in load density. I prefer to use it in small capacity cases like 25acp, 32acp and 380. It works well in all up to 45acp but the load density is such that you can't necessarily see if you have a double charge with the larger cases. It is a good powder if used with the proper attention when loading.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just fill compelled to remind you guys with the faster burning powder to be sure to double check your charge.
It's easy to double charge when using small ammounts and maybe not notice.

Incrediblerod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

Just fill compelled to remind you guys with the faster burning powder to be sure to double check your charge.
It's easy to double charge when using small ammounts and maybe not notice.

I'm a single stage weigh every charge reloader, but I do appreciate the concern.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to use AA #2 in the early to mid 1990's for loading 115 & 124 grain FMJ in 9mm. Looking back at my old (1991) Hornady reloading book it was a little bit hotter and faster burning that Winchester 231 at the time. However years later, I think around 1998, I was told the AA factory that made #2 had a fire and after that they had changed the chemical make up of several of their powders, including AA #2. So if / when I break out my single stage Lee loader, I will have to get a new guide if I were to try AA # 2 with 9 mm FMJ's. I never used non FMJ or plated projo's. But I was running my rounds both 115 & 124 about 1175 - 1225 FPS NATO style (Shooting Chrony verified) through a Gen two Glock 19 and Sig 228.

Sorry so long winded...

I recomend that you use a new guide for any loading with AA #2 to keep from having any problems. I was told by an experienced loader back in the late 90"s that if I had continued to use the old Hornady info on the new AA powder I could have over charged my loads. I think I was running 4.0 - 4.5 - 5.0 grains of powder. Cycled good, hit hard.

centraloklahoma

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won't get anywhere near the velocity attainable with .357 mag with that powder, so I'd just forgo the .357s and shoot .38s with AA#2. It should be fine for target loads in everything else you mention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom