Thoughts on survival prep Website advertising. Flashlight giveaway for your opinion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very good way is to do YouTube videos on your equipment, survival tips, strategies, ect. Don't just regurgitate manufacturer specs and marketing text, but make it your own. Be sure to make your videos as professionally as possible with good editing and lighting. No, you don't necessarily have to go all "Nutnfancy" or "Sootch00" with the vids and it's probably not a good idea to copy them exactly, but it should be comparable in production quality.

The most effective use of social media and video is to OWN it and make it your own. Don't just be a marketing robot, but actually be personal with it and let people get to know you and know that there's an actual person behind that facebook name, twitter name, or youtube name. Give honest opinions and open a dialog with the people out there. It should be a 2 way conversation. That alone will = boost in sales and also consumer loyalty. Real world examples would include local businesses like Iguana Lounge and Coop Ale Works Brewery here in OKC. Other's include the Keep It Local deals and DNA art galleries. Those are textbook cases of how social media and video should be done.

The other upside with Youtube is that you get a wide audience outside of Oklahoma and those Youtube views and subscribers also = $$$ in just Youtube advertising revenue. It would be great if you could even video tape real world usage of the equipment and show real world concepts on survival, bugging out, ect.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My impression is that you carry top end products. Those who know about and appreciate having the best equipment do not need to be sold on it. Most of us however, we need to know why a piece of equipment is the best and why it is worth the price. - More descriptive narrative

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being in Law Enforcement you see top brand gear all the time. People are hesitant to change. I thing it would be great for you to talk with your local law enforcement agencies and do some product demos.....especially the edi-t flashlight. I think they are great products but if people don't see for themselves, it won't do you any good. Maybe even give a couple to the agency to "test" out. Whether it's a flashlight or a ready made bail out bag.....face to face in my opinion would gain respect and business. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not, but that is what came to mind. You being a dealer, you can offer group buy prices for bulk orders.......would be a good idea for smaller dept. Outfitting new officers is EXPENSIVE. My dept. issues everyone streamlight led dual switch flashlights. They aren't cheap, but I think for the money, the edi-t light is brighter and just as durable for half the cost.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get involved with your local Red Cross and Amateur Radio organizations. Both are heavily involved in disaster preparedness and management. Storm Spotters, too. Offer seminars at local churches.

Remember that the zombies are a metaphor, and think about what they represent. Epidemic/pandemic disease, civil unrest, interruption to supply lines, etc. Think about who would manage each of the conditions, and that's your nexus for spreading information and finding customers. Oh, and remember: the most common disaster any of us will face is simple unemployment, so teach people how to bug-in for the long term as well as bugging out.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a bug out bag would be a great idea. I personally don't know much about them but I am interested. I am the exact type of person would buy one pre made. Sounds lazy but for me its easier to tell the wife i'm spending X amount of money on one thing versus X amount on several things that she things aren't necessary, if that makes any sense. I would bet good money that pre packed bags will sell more of the enclosed products than all of them individually will, especially at the gun shows.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very good way is to do YouTube videos on your equipment, survival tips, strategies, ect. Don't just regurgitate manufacturer specs and marketing text, but make it your own. Be sure to make your videos as professionally as possible with good editing and lighting. No, you don't necessarily have to go all "Nutnfancy" or "Sootch00" with the vids and it's probably not a good idea to copy them exactly, but it should be comparable in production quality.

The most effective use of social media and video is to OWN it and make it your own. Don't just be a marketing robot, but actually be personal with it and let people get to know you and know that there's an actual person behind that facebook name, twitter name, or youtube name. Give honest opinions and open a dialog with the people out there. It should be a 2 way conversation. That alone will = boost in sales and also consumer loyalty. Real world examples would include local businesses like Iguana Lounge and Coop Ale Works Brewery here in OKC. Other's include the Keep It Local deals and DNA art galleries. Those are textbook cases of how social media and video should be done.

The other upside with Youtube is that you get a wide audience outside of Oklahoma and those Youtube views and subscribers also = $$$ in just Youtube advertising revenue. It would be great if you could even video tape real world usage of the equipment and show real world concepts on survival, bugging out, ect.

This idea is by far and away the best idea for a fledgling company. The advantage is that you will be reaching people searching for the gear instead of wasting exposure on people that don't care, like what you will get with the standard outlets..newspaper, radio, etc. A major key is that you need to keep your channel active, posting one video every 3 months isn't going to cut it. Also, make sure your web address is prominent in all your videos. Traditional advertising just doesn't work any more.

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about Craigslist posts for several major cities? I would think sporting gooods category. May catch some camping, hiking types also. Throw some motivational references out there like 12/2012, Y3K, Zombiepocalypse, etc.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you could volunteer to offer a quick seminar (powerpoint or with nice handouts) including a show-and-tell demonstration of lights, bug out gear, food storage options, even (gasp) knives if the venue permits it.
I think groups of people that live or work "in town" rather than out in the country might be receptive to a brief talk, if you put the emphasis on "Be prepared for a few days in case of emergency -- wildfire, tornado, ice storm, etc" rather than "nuclear blast."
Possibly people who work in hospitals, health care clinics...or how about the spouses of your intended customers? (They might buy your items as gifts???)
Maybe do some kind of a drawing at your presentation and give away a freeze dried meal or one of those loud Fox whistles or something else small with your website clearly labeled on the packaging. (As long as the meal is edible, LOL.)
Give the attendees things with your website clearly displayed (not just business cards, add some printed checklists of things to have in case of emergency, and perhaps some free pens).

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Setup a table at gunshows, fair (right by the tornado shelters or the ladies selling jam). Craft shows affair of the heart etc. Scared little old ladies will eat up BOBs

Latest posts

Top Bottom