Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, July 13, 2013 -- do you have what it takes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy221

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just realized that unloading and showing clear would be a pain in the rear with an M1 Garand....hmmm. Time to look for other options. Can an M1A be considerd milsurp, LOL.

Anyway, back to tomorrow! I found a blog from a guy in Texas who has been training for this by running with a water filled piece of PVC tubing to simulate his rifle and a weight vest etc...I'm suddenly feeling under-trained!
I haven't done any specific training for this or shooting in a while so don't feel too bad. Running with a rifle isn't too bad once you get the hang of it.

I'll definitely be looking tacticool though. I'm thinking I'm starting to get sick so I'm going to forgo the plate carrier/gas mask, but I'll still run it in boots/uniform.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm suddenly feeling under-trained!

I thought I was doing good running 2 miles straight, then I tried it kitted up last night, and holy crap. I made it a 1/4 mile and had to stop because i didn't want to overdo it. Good thing there's short "breaks", lol. I'm praying i get stuck behind a couple old farts and have to wait at each stage :P

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I was doing good running 2 miles straight, then I tried it kitted up last night, and holy crap. I made it a 1/4 mile and had to stop because i didn't want to overdo it. Good thing there's short "breaks", lol. I'm praying i get stuck behind a couple old farts and have to wait at each stage :P

Get behind me dude....I'm planning on running slow but shooting fast! We'll see how that plan goes.

cableguy221

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a pure "gaming" standpoint, you want to go somewhere in the middle of the pack. Early enough to avoid the heat, but late enough to get a decent rest before each station due to a buildup.

I'm not sure how the running order was decided, but I'll probably volunteer to go early to get it over with/avoid the buildup. It has probably been addressed in the thread, but are they going by registration date or what?

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if I have a Texas CHL(I'm driving up from TX), can I open carry in OK?

Yep, you can! Might be worth looking at the OK SDA reference, just to make sure you're up on the differences between TX and OK. There's a link in the concealed carry forum, or google OK OSBI and find the PDF under the handgun licensing links.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the running order was decided, but I'll probably volunteer to go early to get it over with/avoid the buildup. It has probably been addressed in the thread, but are they going by registration date or what?

Random order...

I'm sure alot of folks would "volunteer" to go early to avoid the heat to LOL!

cableguy221

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, you can! Might be worth looking at the OK SDA reference, just to make sure you're up on the differences between TX and OK. There's a link in the concealed carry forum, or google OK OSBI and find the PDF under the handgun licensing links.

I appreciate it. It will be more for running into the gas station the morning of or during the day with my gun belt on. It's nice not having to take it off.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap, that was a lot harder than I was expecting, but it was a blast. Thanks to everyone who set it up, sorry i had to jet early, but i had a lot of fun, and I'll be out next year again for sure!

Some things i learned:
1) I need to go to appleseed, I sucked it up on the last two stages.

2) strap your mags in. I lost a mag at each of the barbwire crawls and lost about 10 minutes off my run time going back for them. Thanks Hensch for saving the first one for me!

3) lose more weight! Thankfully my prayers were answered and i had a nice long wait at each stage, but I would've died if I hadn't

4) don't buy crappy Walmart camelbacks unless you want a rifle full of water from the leaky valve

I only have one suggestion for next time: no green flags! Especially in trees. I got lost several times because I couldn't see the flags in the trees, unless that was meant as part of the challenge (i know I'd have a hard time spotting an enemy in Camo). Also, I'm i think I'm slightly color blind, and had a hard time differentiating between the pink and orange flags, especially since they crossed each other. Just something to think about.

Thanks again for all the hard work that went into this!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom