Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, July 13, 2013 -- do you have what it takes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you are in the Tulsa area? I run at least twice a week at Turkey Mountain, usually 1 run with gear, the other day, no gear. If anyone's interested in a training run or three, let me know. (usually 1 weekday afternoon around 3, 1 on weekend)

It's better to find out what rubs a blister on you now, rather than when you're trying to make time/kill zombies.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henschman, thanks for clarifying the time/ chances for delays/ etc. Guess I'll be bringing water and MAY rethink running shorts. I'm a minimalist, going to trim any load to the absolute essentials.

Should be nice and warm! Remember folks, event hydration starts 1-2 days prior to an event. Even volume depletion or mild dehydration sucks.

I would like to see something to back that up please- the second to the last sentence. Thanks

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to see something to back that up please- the second to the last sentence. Thanks

Here you go.

http://www.sideofsneakers.com/2010/08/26/stay-hydrated-next-race/

How to Hydrate in the Heat

1. Start early. Don’t wait until the morning of the race to start drinking. You can only absorb so much so fast- you don’t want all that hydration going straight to the toilet. Worst case- start the day before. Your best bet- begin hydrating a few days before your event.

2. Replace sweat loss. To stay hydrated, you need to replace any fluid you lose. If you sweat a lot, you better bet you need to be drinking a lot! A good rule of thumb: weigh yourself before & after a workout. The amount of weight you lost is the amount you need to drink. (For every pound lost, drink 16 oz of fluid.) Don’t want to weigh yourself? Check your urine- it should be pale yellow, not dark & concentrated.

3. Don’t rely on thirst. Our bodies are usually pretty good at telling us what we need, but unfortunately they’re a little slow on the uptake when it comes to thirst. You only feel thirsty after you’ve started to become dehydrated. Plus, your thirst is quenched before you’ve gotten all the fluid you need. So drink even if you’re not thirsty!

4. Drink at regular intervals. Water can turn to sweat in as little as 10 minutes. Drinking regularly throughout your workout or event is the best way to stay hydrated. Having small amounts of fluid frequently also helps to prevent that unpleasant sloshing feeling in your stomach.

5. Make it good & easy. The easier water or other fluid is to access, the more likely you are to drink it. Figure out what works for you- carrying a water bottle, using a Camel Bak, etc. Making it taste good helps you drink more too; so does having the fluid cold.

6. Choose fluids wisely. Water is fine for short events, but if you’re exercising for more than an hour, you probably want to try a sports drink or other fluid with electrolytes. What to look for: a drink that’s 6-8% carbohydrate & has at least sodium & potassium in it. [Most beverages marketed as '”sports drinks” meet these requirement; this isn’t the time to choose the low sugar option!]

Latest posts

Top Bottom