Time to boycott Goodyear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting. I always thought both management and union representatives had to agree on contracts. How does the blame for whatever ills befall a company rest solely on the union? Maybe just gutless management shifting the blame?

Well, I don't know about this. Unions can walk out and hurt a company's business. However, companies can't necessarily "lock out" union employees without hurting their own business. And if they did and hired new people, one can bet that the union employees would be harassing the new employees every day as they went to and left work.

That's why I like Oklahoma being a state where one doesn't have to join a union. I have a nephew that was in a union job, and while it paid well when he was working, he was laid off just about every six months for almost that long before going back to work again.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart
Home Depot
Target
Amazon
Gatorade
Microsoft (The irony here is very comical. Are you running Windows right now?)
Intel (What kind of processor are you running in your computer?)
Unilever
Nabisco
Atlantic Records
Warner Records
Netflix
HBO
Hulu
Disney
Youtube

The list of companies that have given either material or PR support to BLM and other movements is long. Better step up the virtue signalling if you're jumping on the "boycott Goodyear" movement LOL.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walmart
Home Depot
Target
Amazon
Gatorade
Microsoft (The irony here is very comical. Are you running Windows right now?)
Intel (What kind of processor are you running in your computer?)
Unilever
Nabisco
Atlantic Records
Warner Records
Netflix
HBO
Hulu
Disney
Youtube

The list of companies that have given either material or PR support to BLM and other movements is long. Better step up the virtue signalling if you're jumping on the "boycott Goodyear" movement LOL.

OR... we can implement personal changes where we can which will allow us to continue to function to a normal level in society when there is a reasonable option, as much as is dictated by our respective consciences.

No?

For instance, without choosing either Apple or Microsoft, you don't have any realistic personal computing options. Similarly, without choosing Windows, Android (Google) or Apple, your personal cellular choices are all but nonexistant.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OR... we can implement personal changes where we can which will allow us to continue to function to a normal level in society when there is a reasonable option, as much as is dictated by our respective consciences.

No?

For instance, without choosing either Apple or Microsoft, you don't have any realistic personal computing options. Similarly, without choosing Windows, Android (Google) or Apple, your personal cellular choices are all but nonexistant.

So the decision to boycott shouldn't come with any sacrifice on the boycotters part? It's simply a convenience thing?

"I'm all about the movement as long as it doesn't cause me any discomfort"?

I don't think the world has ever been changed by movements like that. It's just virtue signalling.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about this. Unions can walk out and hurt a company's business. However, companies can't necessarily "lock out" union employees without hurting their own business. And if they did and hired new people, one can bet that the union employees would be harassing the new employees every day as they went to and left work.

That's why I like Oklahoma being a state where one doesn't have to join a union. I have a nephew that was in a union job, and while it paid well when he was working, he was laid off just about every six months for almost that long before going back to work again.

I worked my butt off at a factory that was union-free, then we went union. The work stayed the same, wages went up by over 10%, and I didn't have to stay over fours hours after shift unless I had notice an hour ahead. "Casual" employment was done away with - this was a term the company used to string potential employees along without paying benefits. Filing a complaint or safety notice no longer got you fired.

Yep, unions sure do suck.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked my butt off at a factory that was union-free, then we went union. The work stayed the same, wages went up by over 10%, and I didn't have to stay over fours hours after shift unless I had notice an hour ahead. "Casual" employment was done away with - this was a term the company used to string potential employees along without paying benefits. Filing a complaint or safety notice no longer got you fired.

Yep, unions sure do suck.

Well, I didn't say that they sucked. Only once in my life was I in a union, and that was for something like 6 months. The old timers told me that their union didn't do squat for anybody.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the decision to boycott shouldn't come with any sacrifice on the boycotters part? It's simply a convenience thing?

"I'm all about the movement as long as it doesn't cause me any discomfort"?

I don't think the world has ever been changed by movements like that. It's just virtue signalling.

Putting words in my mouth won't work. You can reread what I wrote and try again, or just move on. I'm not gonna play that game, even if others here do.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Putting words in my mouth won't work. You can reread what I wrote and try again, or just move on. I'm not gonna play that game, even if others here do.

I'm not playing a game, I'm trying to understand your point, which you made in direct argument to my point. Am I not allowed to continue the discussion after you quoted my post and took issue with it? If you want me to move on, then don't quote my post and start a discussion.

You said you wouldn't boycott some things because you don't have any other choice, or would be put out by the choice to boycott...right? The decision to boycott is made based on being able to function on a normal level?

I'm trying to understand that logic. What good does it do to boycott one company that allegedly supports causes you don't like while you continue to support a host of other companies that do the exact same thing? What kind of message does that send? Meaningful change usually comes when those seeking it make sacrifices...(YOU being anyone of course...)

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not playing a game, I'm trying to understand your point, which you made in direct argument to my point. Am I not allowed to continue the discussion after you quoted my post and took issue with it? If you want me to move on, then don't quote my post and start a discussion.

You said you wouldn't boycott some things because you don't have any other choice, or would be put out by the choice to boycott...right? The decision to boycott is made based on being able to function on a normal level?

I'm trying to understand that logic. What good does it do to boycott one company that allegedly supports causes you don't like while you continue to support a host of other companies that do the exact same thing? What kind of message does that send? Meaningful change usually comes when those seeking it make sacrifices...

Trying to hyperbolize my response to make it into something it isn't is disingenuous. That's what you did. I wrote exactly what I meant, you changed my wording to indicate something else. That is what I mean.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to hyperbolize my response to make it into something it isn't is disingenuous. That's what you did. I wrote exactly what I meant, you changed my wording to indicate something else. That is what I mean.

How was it not your point? Help me understand.

You literally said you (or some people) would only implement change that would allow you/them to continue to function on a normal level in society.

My question is how is that effective? Do people really think that will effect change...or is it just virtue signalling? I say it's virtue signalling.

My point is that real change requires effort and sacrifice. Not sure how anyone can argue with that.

If all 60+ million people who voted for Trump on 2016 stopped buying ANY product that supported BLM, you would see a difference. Instead we get a few who say "Goodyear sucks anyway so I won't buy them even though I never did" and that's not very powerful. How many have Goodyears on their car right now and have an appointment to have them swapped out with Coopers so they can burn their Goodyears on youtube? LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom