To Crimp Or Not To Crimp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For 223, some times, I taper crimp

For every other rifle caliber I use a Lee factory crimp die. I prefer taper to roll crimp (more forgiving) but on non-precision cambers where you don’t need to trim the cases each time, a taper crimp can still cause a slight bulge or roll due to long brass. The Lee FCD is immune to the issues

for pistol, I now use and absolutely sweat by the Lee carbide factory crimp die (thanks to the help of some other members!). Gives you a consistent crimp and helps size off any slight bumps or bulges you might get while seating. It’s very handy.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot cast in my pistols 98% of the time and I do not crimp any of them.
40, 45, 357, 38 and 9mm now.
I tried crimping rifles and found no accuracy.
I suppose if you are in the habit of mixing different head stamp cases and your seating pressures are all over the map a crimp
may help in the accuracy department.

If I crimp my cast lead bullets it will size them smaller before they enter the chamber and I get leading and accuracy suffers.
I do not shoot super hard lead bullets.
My hardest is straight clip on wheel weights.
Most of my lead bullets are 50/50 mix of wheel weight and pure soft lead and then powder coated.

I have never had a powder coated or greased lead bullet experience setback.
Well except for the 1911 45 when the bullet enters the chamber it is at a severe upward angle and the nose of the bullet hits the chamber and sets it back lead or jacketed even crimped I get setback by just a hair.

My Hi-Point pistols do not have that steep entry that buggers the nose and pushes the bullet back into the case.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For .357 and .44 I crimp hot loads, don’t usually crimp low velocity lead plinkers though

Usually don’t crimp bolt gun stuff

Always crimp for the tube fed lever guns(45/70)

For ARs I usually use the lee FCD and crimp, that way I don’t worry about bullet setbacks during rapid fire

Just depends on the application really

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I don't crimp anything rifle wise except 458 SOCOM, literally and figuratively 10s of thousands of 223 and 308s in gas guns. Maybe I'm lucky but I have never had extreme set back.....ooops I just lied!!! I did crimp 45-90 in my 86!

Latest posts

Top Bottom