Reloading for AR15 to crimp or not to crimp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never have crimped for my bolt rifle loads but was going to reload some for a AR15 I have read about some crimp some don’t about 50/50 what do you say?

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't crimped any of the rounds I've reloaded for my AR15s or my AR10. So far I haven't run into any issues or seen any negative side effects.

You could always try some crimped and some uncrimped to see what your gun likes best. If you have a chronograph you could also see if your velocities change between the two sets.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not crimp. I get my best accuracy with .003" neck tension.

I also found NO crimp in my 9/45/40 and 357 magnum results in better accuracy for me .
But most of my projectiles are lead.

I have never experienced bullet setback.

Correction my 1911 Taurus and other 1911 hand guns will push the bullet deeper into the case when it chambers.
I still do not crimp those as it does not matter as it will still set them back.

I have that design.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load for my AR10 and I have done it with crimping and without crimping. I got better accuracy without crimping. I’m also not rapped firing the rifle. If I was to rapped fire. I would try it both ways and watch for pressure and accuracy issues. take your comparator and cycle a couple of rounds and check OAL. thats the only way to find out to see if the round moves

Latest posts

Top Bottom