To Grendel or not to Grendel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have an AR thats got a "good" 5.56 barrel on it (1:7), a decent scope (4.5-14 Burris Mtac) and a pretty decent drop in trigger. Its just never shot what I think it should and I've tried several different "match" loads from it as well as cheap stuff. My 300 blackout with a plain trigger, 4x scope and factory Remington UMC 120gr shoots better than this thing does. That being said, I'm thinking of a barrel swap. Should I just go Grendel? I've still got the walnut AR if I want to shoot 5.56 and the rest of this gun is set up the way I want it. I figure if I'm going to be using "match" ammo from it, whether commercial or I hand load it, I may as well go for something different. At that point, the advantage of 5.56 (cost) disappears for the most part.

Shooting @chazroh Grendel kinda got the wheels turning. Granted his scope/trigger was better than I'll be using, I think a really good Grendel barrel could make up alot of ground and do better than I currently am with the 5.56.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to do more loading on expensive ammo than I am for plinking stuff. I would have loaded up this .308 for deer if I had more time to get to the range and test some loads right now. Should slow down a bit and will work on that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat.
I never look for short range rounds, as long range rounds can be used for short or long range.
Have had a finished lower with a timmney trigger in the safe for awhile.
Just can't figure out what upper to build with it.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would do it. But you will need a new bolt or BCG as well as the barrel. You can get cheap ammo for the 6.5 at around $.25 or less per round. I also like the 25-45 Sharps and was going to do one of those on my next build but I think Ill do a Grendel first. I think it just fits what I need a little better right now. By the way, most factory loads for a 223 are terrible compared to even mediocre handloads.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In my opinion, the 6.5 Grendel is the best long(er) range precision round that can fit in an ar15. It has a good BC and decent velocity. I can attest that it will be effective to 800 yards (maybe more). If you have a desire to shoot past 600, I think your best bet is the Grendel when we’re talking ar15 platform.

Latest posts

Top Bottom