Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to be more and more common. You climb out of your wrecked race car and confront (and maybe even throw your helmet at) a driver that's coming toward you in a car. It was just a matter of time. I'm not much of a rules guy, but racing organizations might consider fining/suspending drivers that do this. It might just save a few lives.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think Stewart is as fault and should be help accountable. Dont think he ment to hit him or kill him any more than than Ward ment to get hit or get dead.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes - thanks for posting the vid.

I don't think anyone would intentionally run their car into someone. BUT, if you look at the line the #45 car passes the guy at versus Tony's car, Tony is much higher on the track. He could see Kevin. When he guns it, his car kicks toward the camera, not away towards the guy. I think he was definitely trying to prove a point to the guy and he got way too close. Pretty senseless loss of life and some poor decisions on both sides.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to be more and more common. You climb out of your wrecked race car and confront (and maybe even throw your helmet at) a driver that's coming toward you in a car. It was just a matter of time. I'm not much of a rules guy, but racing organizations might consider fining/suspending drivers that do this. It might just save a few lives.

I always assumed this was the case? I mean... NBA, NFL, MLB, all of them fine players and coaches on a regular basis for poor behavior and even some very questionably poor behavior. So racing doesn't? I think they ought to... it's a helluva lot more dangerous for a pissed-off driver to run out on the track (even during a yellow) than the Icky Shuffle or pointing at someone after a monster dunk.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that the guy is in a black suit, with dark earth and a black car in the background from the other driver's perspectives. Stewart may or may not have intentionally done this, it's just too hard to tell. Stewart racing today is a terrible idea. NASCAR should force him to sit this one out.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hobbes - thanks for posting the vid.

I don't think anyone would intentionally run their car into someone. BUT, if you look at the line the #45 car passes the guy at versus Tony's car, Tony is much higher on the track. He could see Kevin. When he guns it, his car kicks toward the camera, not away towards the guy. I think he was definitely trying to prove a point to the guy and he got way too close. Pretty senseless loss of life and some poor decisions on both sides.

I think you have nailed it (no pun intended).

Guys if you think that Stewart didn't know his rear end would slide out that direction you are just crazy. Those sprint car races are mostly sideways. And Stewart is a hell of a driver and I can guarantee he was in complete and total control of the car and knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Dirt track racing is a rough sport and tempers do in fact get flared often. Stupid and too much testosterone on both sides, add in a superstar's ego and it becomes clear. With Tony's past anger problems, it's pretty clear that he let a "message" he was sending get out of control. Don't think I'd call it outright murder, but he needs to spend some time in prison over this.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Change of course. Now Stewart racing team has decided to have a substitute drive for him.
A few hours ago VP Zipadelli told reporters "were business as usual today".

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Climb out of your car, onto the track, at night, wearing black with a black car as a backdrop, and lunge at passing cars (who even under a yellow are still traveling fast). Stupid hurts.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Commenting on Ward's actions only- Is it not a violation of some sort of track rule to climb out of your car and confront a moving car? At the least, it's not very wise.

Just read that T. Stewart will sit out today's Watkins Glen race. I'm sure investigators will re-look all the videos that have appeared and probably push for vehicular assault resulting in a death. All depends on who has the best attorneys & PR guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom