Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stewart was spraying the guy. It is done a lot and this time he got a bit to close or the guy lunged. Stewart was going to spray the guy with dirt. I have seen it done thousands of times. I have been guilty of doing it during CrossCountry MX races 30 years ago, it is known situation, you battle with a guy, he goes down, he gets mad, he stays on the course and you spray him with dirt. Tony Stewart was spraying the guy with dirt debris. Then he either comes at you in the pits after the race and the fight is on. Or he calms down and shakes it off as "just racing". I feel bad for the sport, I feel bad for both sides of the Familys involved. Anger got them both in trouble.

I have been guilty of both sides of what happened. To the point that a back tire on a dirt bike ripped up my riding pants and tore the buckles off my racing boots. I look back and it was all silliness, but hey, it is what it is when your in the heat of things.

I think this is on the right track. Spraying of dirt, yep. Been there, done that and got the T shirt.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The kid made a mistake that cost him his life and I think if Stewart wouldn't have blipped his throttle you could say it was an accident. With Stewarts experience he knew what that car would do when he blipped the throttle now he might have misjudged how close the kid was or the kid got to close not expecting Stewart to hit the throttle. It was a bad deal for both of them and Stewart knows what he has done and will have to live with it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't see him getting charged criminally on this one. However, his prior bad acts could cost him a TON of money in civil court, if the family sues him.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stewart was spraying the guy. It is done a lot and this time he got a bit to close or the guy lunged. Stewart was going to spray the guy with dirt. I have seen it done thousands of times. I have been guilty of doing it during CrossCountry MX races 30 years ago, it is known situation, you battle with a guy, he goes down, he gets mad, he stays on the course and you spray him with dirt. Tony Stewart was spraying the guy with dirt debris. Then he either comes at you in the pits after the race and the fight is on. Or he calms down and shakes it off as "just racing". I feel bad for the sport, I feel bad for both sides of the Familys involved. Anger got them both in trouble.

I have been guilty of both sides of what happened. To the point that a back tire on a dirt bike ripped up my riding pants and tore the buckles off my racing boots. I look back and it was all silliness, but hey, it is what it is when your in the heat of things.

I'm with you on this. I've did some things back in the MX days that pissed some off, and I've had the same done to me. The racing sports are testosterone driven by Alpha personality's that live life on the edge.

I do agree that NASCAR, AMA, and the other racing organizations need to rein in the dirty players in the sport, and the hot heads that want to get some revenge.

BUT, this is what sells tickets. Drama.

I'll bet without google , very few on this site or the population in general can say who won the Indi 500 this year.

They dammed sure remember the fights throughout the season.

Its all about the Drama.

Unfortunately in this situation somebody died. Who's fault? I'm not taking sides.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can understand that he might not have seen him, but when he guns it, well, jail time

That is what tells me that:
1) it was on purpose
2) he knew where he was and he had to have seen him to have known that
and
3) this is confirmed because the timing of the throttle blip is just about as perfect as you could possibly get.

Without that throttle blip he had complete deniability and it likely would have ended in death or even made news. That's just a fact. But I tend to agree with GTG in that there won't be any criminal charges. We will see...

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true Dennis. Didn't NASCAR tighten the rules years ago after Earnhardt died? It was the end of "rubbing's racing" and all that? From what I gathered over the years, NASCAR loosened the rules to allow more contact after those safer standards meant crowds losing interest and such.

(Full disclosure: I've never watched a race, it was all heard second hand that year I tended the red barn)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very true Dennis. Didn't NASCAR tighten the rules years ago after Earnhardt died? It was the end of "rubbing's racing" and all that? From what I gathered over the years, NASCAR loosened the rules to allow more contact after those safer standards meant crowds losing interest and such.

(Full disclosure: I've never watched a race, it was all heard second hand that year I tended the red barn)

I don't know the current rules. I watched a replay of a race the other day, and there were three cars that were all in contact with each other before the one drafting on the left broke out and won the race.

One of the reasons NASCAR sucks. You can bump a guy that has led the race for 499 miles, and spin him out.

I much prefer open wheel racing where that same maneuver would cause both contestants to spin out and loose the race. Open wheel is a gentleman's racing organization where pure driving wins the race vs the thuggery of NASCAR.

NASCAR is still living on the running moonshine from the feds theory.

Open wheel racers can't even run at the Dallas speedway. The banks are so steep that the G forces cause the open wheel guys to pass out if they were at full throttle.

Some of you experts may be more clear on this. I read an article about it awhile back.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Bear in mind that I gave up following NASCAR quite awhile ago. When DE was killed I was working for a guy that formed a Winston West team. I read the entire report on DE's death and it was extensive to say the least, they really left no stone unturned. But I don't really recall major changes other than to mandated driver safety gear and some track changes with impact absorbing wall and such. I do remember that I was already kind of leaning away from NASCAR at the time because they were just getting too PC and overbearing in their rules. I had been thinking for some time that they just needed to ditch the restrictor plates altogether because while effective, they just bunched everybody up, which just seems insane to me. I totally jumped ship when they went to what I called "package" engines. They are all the same exact thing, no matter what car make and they have seals to make sure the teams don't open them up and "tweak" anything. NASCAR just screwed their own pooch as far as I'm concerned. Ford should have Ford engines, Dodge - Mopar, etc. If I want to watch IROC I'll just watch IROC thankyou. :nolike:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bear in mind that I gave up following NASCAR quite awhile ago. When DE was killed I was working for a guy that formed a Winston West team. I read the entire report on DE's death and it was extensive to say the least, they really left no stone unturned. But I don't really recall major changes other than to mandated driver safety gear and some track changes with impact absorbing wall and such. I do remember that I was already kind of leaning away from NASCAR at the time because they were just getting too PC and overbearing in their rules. I had been thinking for some time that they just needed to ditch the restrictor plates altogether because while effective, they just bunched everybody up, which just seems insane to me. I totally jumped ship when they went to what I called "package" engines. They are all the same exact thing, no matter what car make and they have seals to make sure the teams don't open them up and "tweak" anything. NASCAR just screwed their own pooch as far as I'm concerned. Ford should have Ford engines, Dodge - Mopar, etc. If I want to watch IROC I'll just watch IROC thankyou. :nolike:

Yep. NASCAR is restricted to 750 hp if I remember correctly, and the open wheel indy style cars can run up to 900 hp?

Not exactly sure on the exact HP, but I agree.

Back in the day to run NASCAR it had to be a vehicle that the factory's produced at least 500hp or so for the general public, then they could build a race car from the design.

All of that has gone to crap now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom